Social Media

Volunteer at LIMA '15

The Langkawi International Maritime & Aerospace (LIMA) Exhibition is backkk!! Set to be in March 2015, this event will be bigger and better! So we need the manpower to rock this show!

Yes, we want you!


Requirements:
  1. Must be fluent in English and Bahasa Malaysia. (Added advantage for proficiency in other languages)
  2. Application is open to all. For foreign nationals in Malaysia, you must hold a valid student visa/work visa/permit.
  3. Everyone is encouraged to apply, but preference would be given to students pursuing Aeronautical Engineering, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, Defence Studies, Marketing, Business Administration and Media Studies.
  4. Must be able to travel to Langkawi from 14th March 2015 till 21st March 2015, and willing to serve long hours at the exhibition.

Benefits of Volunteering at LIMA '15:
  1. You'll gain invaluable experience and knowledge in organizing the exhibition, in addition to being part of a premiere aerospace and maritime exhibition
  2. Transportation and accommodation costs covered during show days.
  3. Breakfast and lunch provided on show days.
  4. Post Event Appreciation certificate.
  5. LIMA t-shirts
  6. 2 free entry tickets for family/friends to visit LIMA '15
LIMA '11 volunteers

Being part of the LIMA exhibition for 2 years, I've learned so much! It has created a platform for me to work with people other than my own classmates, make new friends and challenge myself to new responsibilities.

I got to know about this programme through Charmaine and if it weren't for her and Gup, I'd never sign up even if I was interested cz I'm that much of a timid, scaredy cat hahaha If you don't think so, that's cz I tend to put up a front to not look that scared lol

For both years, I went as a Liaison Officer, where I'd have to deal with officials from other countries. It's quite intimidating, no doubt...I still remember dreading to dial the Malaysian Accompanying Officer(AO) to brief him about the details. Liaising with the officials wasn't all I did, I got to face the public when I hopped over to the ticketing counter, I got to do delegates' program and even be at the Information Counter! So there was a lot to do, learn and experience...if you have initiative.

If you want to gain some insight, feel free to check out my LIMA '11 and LIMA '13 posts!

LIMA '11
1 | 2

LIMA '13
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

So you've read about the benefits of volunteering- gain invaluable experiences. Besides the regular stuffs like admin knowledge, communicating with high ranked people and working late nights...I'd like to highlight some of the not-so-usual experiences which I went through!

I feel the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when I get to witness the exhibition being built from scratch. Though I wasn't part of the organizing, the fact that I was there when the booths were still being fixed up till the day the exhibition ends..it gives me an awesome feeling like I've been part of something great. That's one.

If you like the sounds of roaring jets, you're in for a treat! We have daily aerial displays, so much till your eardrums will be drumming, you'll start speaking at the top of your lungs and you'll have withdrawals when the exhibition is over (from missing the loud sounds) lool

In LIMA '11, I got the chance to hop onto a helicopter! No, it didn't fly up into the skies, but I never got to be up close to a helicopter before! Oh, did I mention I got to place my signature on it too? *smug look*



In LIMA '13, we got to meet Dr. Mahathir for an award ceremony and hung around his son, Datuk Mokhzani! Literally hung around cz he was really friendly and stayed a bit after his tour around the hall to talk to the volunteers. We, on buggies, followed him to the helicopter and sent him off to the airport! hahaha You don't get that everyday, do you?


As a Liaison Officer, I got to liaise with delegates from Myanmar, Russia and Thailand. The Thai delegate was very grandpa-like, very friendly and likes to joke. I always have a fixed impression that these officials are serious and take no jokes, but not all are like that...especially since they're not working working.

Thai delegate(middle) and his accompanying officers

Being part of LIMA, it touches me that they actually care for their volunteers. Though we're left to handle ourselves and our responsibilities, you can always ask if you don't know anything or need help. They'll worry about our accommodation, meals and take our views into account. Some of you will experience differently, for instance, some got to go onto the cruise, accompany their delegate to the golf course and things like that. It all depends on the delegate's program you get.

The organizers took some time to bring us onto the KD Jebat on both years.


Oh, and whether you like it or not, be ready to make lots of new friends lol They're one of the main reasons volunteering at the LIMA exhibition is an awesome experience.


For more information and the application form, head over to LIMA '15 Volunteer Programme! Submit the application through email or fax by 31st December 2014!


See you thereeeee!

(Any questions can be emailed to the email on the website or leave a comment below this post)

10 comments

  1. hello, how about payment?do you get any?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, since it's a volunteer programme, usually you don't get paid. But yes, you do get allowance of RM50 per day

      Delete
  2. hello, Where did you guys stayed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it differs by year, so it may or may not be the same as previous years. Btw, are you a volunteer for LIMA '15?

      Delete
    2. I applied for it...still waiting for the email from the LIMA volunteer site..is the results out?

      Delete
  3. Hi. Im fatimatul, and also got the liaison officer for LIMA'15. May I request for any tips for me to make myself prepared for it? Since u know the do's and don'ts. Thx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am more interested to work in area which involves more people to people interactions and from your blog i got to know that Liaison officer seems very good option, could you suggest any other option similar to LO with more challenge and adventure.
    Awaiting your reply.
    Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, may i know what they ask for the interview?

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Theme by BD