Social Media

USA | Fun times at the WWU Lakewood Boathouse


Woah! Where did time go?

I just realized it's been almost a year since packed my bags and left for the US on New Year's Day just last year!

Over the course of the past two weeks or so, I've had to present twice on my Global UGRAD exchange program - once for the debriefing session, and another to share about my experience at a YSEALI session. It's no surprise that these two consecutive occasions kicked me right back into nostalgic mode.

Thanks to classes, assignments, and a part-time job or two, I haven't been "stuck in the past" (as some would say) for a while now. Having my mind occupied means I no longer feel sad too much of the time anymore, wishing the clock would just turn back...although I still do.

Rummaging through my memory during the sharing session suddenly made me realize how much time has passed and man, do I miss everything (especially my friends). I was surprised at the sudden tears in my eyes during the presentation, but I blinked away and carried on.

My USA posts are long overdue, so I'll take those teary eyes as a nudge to take a few minutes off to document just one of the many days I spent in the US...yes, although this week is filled to the brim.

***

It was a Saturday morning in May...it was springtime. The weather was perfect - sunny, but chilly.

The WWU International Buddy Program organized a day out for us, international students at the WWU Lakewood Boathouse - a water activity facility at Lake Whatcom.

Although transport was provided, the Illegal Aliens had our own resources (aka Austin and Dane's vehicles) and would rather go as a huge group because we're sticky like that. We fussed about what to wear, Jenny lend me her flip flops, and we hurried down to the parking lot where Austin and his Toyota Tacoma pickup truck were waiting for us.

We hopped on, filled the backseat and the trunk, and off we go to Lake Whatcom!

With my Swede buddy, and the Fijian, Japanese and Russian at the back.

WWU Lakewood Boathouse


I'm glad it wasn't windy that day, just the perfect amount of chillness in the air (because the wind there is too damn cold!). We warmed right up as soon as we got moving, jumping from one activity to another.

To rent the equipment, we had to hand over our Western Student ID and pay $6 per activity. Since there were so many of us, we rented different ones and take turns to use them - kayaking, canoeing, sailing, windsurfing, paddleboarding, and paddleboating.

As soon as we dropped our bags in the cabin, Vara and I dashed straight for the paddleboat (after handing my ID and paying the fee, of course). I went back for a second round with Yohei because it was just so much fun! And the view... magnificent!

Yohei seemed reluctant to join me on the paddleboat and I thought he was afraid of the water. Turns out, he wasn't supposed to do water activities as his exchange program didn't allow it due to safety reasons. But well, you know what, Yohei? Screw the rules hahahaha

Paddleboat partner, Vara





Paddleboart partner, Yohei


Paddleboating was a lot of fun, but it wore me out after two rounds. So draining from all the cardio and leg action. Phew! When drained, eat.

Thank God the organizers prepared food for us, so we weren't left to starve. The quantity was limited, but some hot dog buns and packets of juices were better than none! Enjoying light snacks on the dock with such a beautiful view and fresh air around was such an experience. It was perhaps one of the few times I actually appreciated the beauty of nature. Never have I ever felt so serene and happy. 

Before I went out again to play, the others came back on land for a break and we made s'mores together!!!! It was my first time ever making s'mores... super jakun! Graham Crackers, Hershey's chocolate (not some cheapskate chocolate okay), and marshmallows was the combination. So. So. Good. Ughhhh.

Me eating

Vicky and Vara kayaking

Song and Austin paddleboarding

Jiji and his stunts

Hampus and Airat canoeing





After the break, we decided to do the illegal - overload the paddleboat. I mean, we didn't call ourselves the Illegal Aliens without a rhyme or reason, you know?

I changed into a wet suit which Vicky chose for me. It was the only green one and she thought it'd be funny if I wore it...and so I did. I became a Ninja Turtle. Needless to say, the others had their fill laughing at me, but it was a-okay, I'm glad I could contribute to their happiness of the moment. Chehhhh....

You see, the paddleboat can only fit a maximum of four people, but there were five of us who wanted to get on. How? Simple physics to the rescue! We managed to balance ourselves on the paddleboat, but guys, don't copy us as we were so close to sinking.

The guys were in charge of paddling at first. Then Vara and I started complaining and whining about them being slow, so we switched places. Imagine two relatively smaller sized girls paddling the overloaded boat. I'm surprised our legs didn't break. High five, Vara!

Ah, it was so much fun goofing around in the middle of the lake with these people. We even got a group photo when the canoe and kayak came by!

Funny short story. While we were having some dangerous fun on the paddleboat, the person in charge of the place waved at us (to our horror) and told us that we were overloading it. That's when we whipped out our "International Student card" of oh-sorry-we're-international-students-we-didn't-read-the-instructions-even-if-we-did-we-don't-understand-it hahahaha Such logics. Of course, we didn't say it out loud..but our blur and confused expressions said it all. We immediately paddled to a nearby dock, apologized profusely, and Vicky got off as we paddled back to the designated parking spot.



Can you tell we were semi-sunken?

Kayak and canoe coming by

Group picture! (Incomplete family photo since Jopus and Soren weren't around)


In the process of switching places




Vicky disembarked. Balance is achieved.


We got back to land safely and chillax for a bit, and of course took many many photos! A bunch of twenty-somethings goofing around like children, I haven't felt like a kid in a long time and being around these people was always a promised time of fun and laughter.

I don't remember who, but I think it was Vicky who suggested for us to jump into the lake. I was totally up for it although I was semi-freaking out. Having the life jacket on means I would always stay afloat, yes, however my not being able to touch the ground freaks me out. Kaitlyn was super sweet because she noticed and pulled me towards the dock the both times we jumped (yup, we jumped twice). And both times, Hampus pulled me out of the water like a pro. Tack tack, Kaitlyn and Hampus - my lifesavers!

After the jumps, we went back to the activities where I tried paddleboarding for the first time! It looks pretty intimidating, especially having a high risk of falling into the water because balance is key. Thank God I didn't fall at all, or I wouldn't know how to get back onto the board without it flipping on me. I guess I owe my good balance to pilates... the whole core workout shebang. Paddling was so much pain in the arms though.


Always bullying me, what's new? (jkjk, it's their way of teasing my small stature)



Slav squat all day err day

Getting ready for the jump...

...and we're in!

Artsy shot by jiji

Can you spot me?



Dane, the otter





Time to wind down after all the activities, we laid out in the sun to relax.

Never in my entire life have I considered laying in the sun as a form of relaxation (in Malaysia, I'd freaking roast!). But it felt so good! The chilly air and warmth of the sun was such a good combination. 







And that sums up half a day of fun in the sun!

We all went for pho after, and ice cream on the field while playing football and frisbee.

[What's weird is that I'd usually be so tired after being out for just two hours or so, but looking back at my time in the US...it's like I had more energy during the day! Sleeping relatively earlier than the others is another story lol]



At Pho99. All Song and I cared about was the menu - like mother, like daughter.

Get it, Hampus!


Snoozy jiji

I look forward to meeting the Illegal Aliens again. But for now, I must get back to hustling for this crazy week and month to come. I can do this.


Good luck for finals, guys!

5 comments

  1. Hi Naomi, I'm elsa.. I knew you from your ugrad YouTube series that I watched during my selection process and now I'm thrilled that I can declare myself as a finalist. I feel so lucky to came across all your ugrad video on YouTube you know! Now that I'm a finalist, can I make a ugrad series similar to yours as well?? Though I'm very nervous because it's my first time doing this but I also want to be as helpful and thoughtful as you to others<3 btw, I'm so happy finding out that you also do blogging ��‍♀️

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Theme by BD