Social Media

New Roost. New Hangout Spot.

[I can't find a nice movie to watch, so here I am! Actually, a clearer version of Magic Mike is out, but I'll either wait for the best quality or for when Joe comes back this weekend :)]

In the town of Johor Bahru, along Jalan Dhoby, there's a couple of cafés and boutiques around. They're mostly in small spaces, quiet and has a vintage feel to it. One of the most patronized café there is the Roost Juice + Bar. My first time there was in May earlier this year.

Recently, Roost opened a new branch a few doors away, at a corner lot, in green. This new one is called Roost Repurposed & Recycled. Salad Bar.

The reason for the name is mainly because the décor and furnitures are made up of repurposed and recycled items! It's that simple! Before scrolling down to the photos, don't underestimate it..it's very well decorated and I regret not walking around more for photos.

Anyway, after Paso Bumbong, Char, her brother, her friend and I headed to Roost for dinner. The new one. Little did we know, they only sell salads, coffee and frozen yogurt. We were starving! Conveniently, we walked a few doors away to the old Roost for good solid food.

I didn't take photos of the others' food as I was starving and they took forever to cook it..but, Char and her brother had grilled chicken chop, while Klaudia had mushroom pasta. Mine's sooooo good, the next time I'm there, I'm definitely getting it again.


Roasted Whole Leg Chicken with Rice and Black Pepper Sauce, RM15.90

When the food arrived, I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish it up. But I guess I was really hungry that I managed to wipe it off the plate! The chicken was roasted sweetly, it's probably marinated with honey. Very well roasted, wasn't too cooked that the flesh got too hard nor was it undercooked with bloodiness towards the bone. The skin is crispy!! I love fried chicken skin, but I hate it when there's a layer of fats underneath it, so I'd usually either scrap it off or if I can't, I'll do without it.

This time, yes, there was a bit of fats here and there, BUT!! When I scrap it with my spoon, off it went! Nice and easy, not ruining my yummy crispy roasted chicken skin! I was elated!..so filled with joy.haha So yes, I totally recommend that if you were planning to make a trip to Roost :)

Enough of the old Roost's food and let's move to the new Roost's décor. 


Business hour: 6pm-12am (not very sure)

As I've stated earlier, salads, frozen yogurt and coffees are sold there. To place your order, it's at the counter right when you walk into the narrow shop.

I don't quite understand why they planned it that way because personally, I felt it might cause a jam if there were several customers wanting to place an order at the same time, what more if the one placing his/her order is very indecisive(like me.LOL). I don't like rushing, so I feel very stressed up when I'm supposed to hurry up and place my order. I mean, come on, it's a new place and I'm unfamiliar with the menu. Also, I like going through the menu, knowing what drink is available and what not. So, don't rush me! That's mainly the reason why I didn't like(or didn't dare) placing order at say, Starbucks or McDonald's before about 14 years old.haha Laugh at me all you want. 


Placed our order of three coffees and one froyo. Off we went up the stairs. I noticed one thing about the shops around that area- their stairs are very steep. I'm not afraid of heights, but it scares me a little.

Upstairs, you get to choose if you want to enjoy the night breeze outside(which sadly, I didn't take photos of) or inside with um..fake night breeze aka air conditioned.haha The outside is cooler and I'd say more romantic, but we opted for inside instead. So, here you go- some photos!

A large postcard, water pipes, inclined wooden book racks

Above our heads hang these lamps with strips of newspaper, which created that sun ray-like shadow effect


What's fascinating about this coffee table set is that the legs of the table and one chair is made up of rolled newspapers!

Creative, eh? I wonder if they'll need to change it from time to time or not, though. The upper part will dent, no?

Paper towel roll tubes chair! I didn't sit on it, but Char said it was rather comfy!


(Credits to Charmaine)

(Credits to Charmaine)

Metal pipe lamps (Credits to Charmaine)

Charmaine got cappuccino, her brother got mocha, Klaudia got froyo instead, and me, my favourite caramel ice blended coffee.

Mocha & Cappuccino, 16oz. RM8.90, 18oz. RM9.90

Both the mocha and cappuccino were very bitter, perhaps it's supposed to be like that? I thought mocha was supposed to be chocolatey coffee, but I'm not an expert at coffees. I prefer sweet coffee :) Those two came with a small glass of syrup to tone down the bitterness.


Caramel Iced Blended Coffee, 16oz. RM8.90. (Same pricing for all coffees, if I'm not mistaken)


I'm not sure of the price of the froyo. It depends on the size, which has a certain amount of toppings. It tastes like every other frozen yogurts, except this was thicker, not as sour but tastes more pure than the others I've tried. Downside to it though- you can't choose your toppings and it was rather less as compared to say, J.Co. Of course that's probably because the price is set, unlike Tutti Fruitti's which is based on the weight, and it's about RM8? I'm not sure though.

The steep staircase

Tea cup & saucer lamps! One of my favourites!


As you can see in the photo above, it has a map-like latitude thing. Those listed on the wall are of cafés and boutiques nearby. Very clever.

I intend to go back there with my sisters, my family(if possible, my parents don't hangout with us much) and of course, Joe when he comes to JB :D Then we can sit and enjoy our drinks at the night breeze area! :D

I planned to order some salad initially, but after dinner I was too full, so I didn't try it. I didn't take note of the price either. There's a list of vegetables and fruits for you to choose from! :)

Go check them out! You won't regret. I'm not too certain about the timing they're open, so double check before making a trip down there, all right!

2 comments

  1. what a nice review,there's a lot of information and interesting pictures, i really want to visit this shop one day, well done with the review :)

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Theme by BD