Social Media

Joey's SURPRISE Birthday!

This person here, named Joe Brandon, is 25 this year!!


He doesn't look 25, I know. He looks way younger. Maybe in this picture you can't really tell, but he looks around 20 most of the time.haha

I suppose I should write in detail of how everything began.

It all started way back in February, where I wanted to give Joe a treat to lunch. Unfortunately, I can't buy gift cards online using Malaysian credit card. They only accepted accounts in the US. I even contacted Justin, his favourite nephew to bring him out and all, but it didn't work out in the end. I was sad. I was sad because he gave me a surprise by buying me roses! And I couldn't match up.lol

Then, I started planning to have a surprise birthday party in May! I had plenty of time to plan, set up my debit card, liaise with someone over there..all the shizzles. So, I started researching on what food, what cake, who's gonna be there, the venue...

This time, Justin didn't reply me..I did feel like a bother anyway, so I don't blame him.LOL Thank God, I was able to contact his mum, Jayme, which is Joe's sister. Jayme's really nice, she helped me a lot through the whole process. Even helped me decide on his early birthday present, the desk chair! She offered to pick it up from the shop, but since I ended up buying from Amazon.com, the delivery was covered:)


Anyway, I decided to buy a cake and a pie for the party since that's all I could afford, hoping they could cook something up since homemade food are also the best!

On one end, Joe told me his plan this year was to head over to Buffalo Wild Wings again as every other years for the past three years, and on the other end, Jayme told me they could do it at Buffalo Wild Wings too since it has become a norm for them. I was like "Errr..." but I can't make it sound like a shitty idea since it wasn't, just that I wanted something different! Plus, I saw his 22nd birthday party pictures with his family and all, and it seemed fun. (Also because his then girlfriend was there, a part of me wanted to gantikan and make this his favourite birthday party instead.LOL)

So, I suggested Mexican food since he loves Mexican food! Jayme went along with me, discussed with Justin and Jayne(Joe's mum) and informed me that Jayne could make really good Tacos and she'd make Enchiladas! It was perfect!

Researches and researches later...I found Dairy Queen cakes and Perkins Restaurant & Bakery which has pies.. Coincidentally, there was Banana Cream Pie, his favourite but I haven't knew yet. I was salivating over their French Silk Pie and thinking who'd eat pies of bananas.haha Suddenly! I asked and he said his #1 favourite was BANANA CREAM PIE! *gasp*



I sort of trusted Perkins since they're one of the very few cafe-bakery which has a proper website.lol Then comes the cake! I thought I'd get DQ's regular ice cream cake since it's their speciality. I read of Blizzard, knowing it's ice cream mixed with say Reese's Buttercups or M&M's or Snickers Bar..but I didn't know what a Blizzard cake was.

After Skyping with him one day, so happened we talked about DQ and he said he loves their Blizzard, which are sold in cups and that his favourite was Banana Cream Pie Blizzard(again!). It's haunting me!hahaha I knew of Dairy Queen, but I can't let my knowing of its existence raise any suspicion! So, I played along acting like I didn't know it ever existed, asking him things...and of course I had to dig more information for his second favourite or just what he doesn't like so I won't get it. And I decided on Cookie Dough Blizzard ice cream cake in the end! It's so exciting!!


So the food list went as: 1) Cookie Dough Blizzard ice cream cake 2) Banana Cream Pie 3) Tacos 4) Enchiladas. I was worried it's seemed so less! But Jayme assured me there'd be plenty. So I kinda calmed down anyway.lol

Fast forward...we decided on the date, 19th May(2 days before his actual one) since it's a Saturday and people would be free. Also, Jayme said I could join in by going on Skype. So, if it was on Sunday, it'd be my Monday which I have History paper. Time would be 3pm and the venue would be his mum's apartment's poolside if it was filled, if not her apartment will do. And finally, I paid her through PayPal :)

Two weeks before his birthday, I quickly went to the post office to get registered mail. I love registered mail for international mails because though it takes two weeks like normal postage, but it's sort of guaranteed and you can track it, and the price is like 5 times cheaper than PosLaju!

Haven't had the time or inspiration to make a birthday card, plus I feel my cards are shitty anyway..so I settled on a letter and a mini certificate ;)


So then the day before the party came. He told me his mum asked to go over to fix her stereo, he was reluctant at first but when she bribed him with lunch, it was an immediate YES! haha

On Sunday morning, I woke up at 4am to come online, while waiting for things to take place, I studied History at the same time. Then at 4.46am...


As I've mentioned in the previous post, Skype didn't happen. That only made sense because he obviously had to layan the guests who came for him, right.

Seems like they were late and when he was there, only his mum was around :/ But his dad and sister, Michelle and her friend showed up. He was surprised and was so happy! Then his other sister, Cheyenne and her baby Junior arrived later. Jayme and Justin came too, I assume with the cake and the pie la, that's why they were late.

His friends didn't show up, most of which didn't reply my messages. A couple replied and it's okaylah, understandable. One of his friends took the effort to check out bus ticket prices to his place, which is really far away..about three states away maybe? But since for him and his twin brother(both very close to Joe and Justin), it'll cost a bomb, I let them off.haha They're nice people anyway:)

Here's some pictures from Joe's phone!

Here's his dad, very him...food first!

Oh ya, Cookie Dough Blizzard cake didn't happen because it has to be pre-ordered a week earlier, but Jayme was late by a day..I was thinking can't they give a day grace and just make the cake? But she got the regular ice cream cake which was okay also lah.

There's a car! Brooooooom!

Banana Cream Pie! It looks quite small..but if it's good, it's worth the money:)

This is Junior, Joe's 1 year old nephew:)

The awesome thing was, Junior's advanced birthday celebration was the day after Joe's, which was on Sunday. So, they went to Mall of America in Minneapolis for the Sea Life thing! Heard they were drifting on the way there too <_<

His mum

Must-haves at house parties- paper plates!


Justin and Jayme

His weirdly cut birthday cake :/

Things didn't exactly go as planned, but I hope he had fun..at least a bit:) Gosh, I reaaaally hope to be there around his birthday next year..so I can celebrate it with him!! And make it a bigger blast!haha

I was complaining to him about his friends not replying and when I said I wanna do this party again when I'm there, he said the difference would be I could haunt them down.lmao Which is true!

It's my first time liaising with someone from the other end of the world to make something happen, I'm glad there's Jayme to help me out with it. Also, Cheyenne's really sporting..I told her about the party and she managed to get her dad and sister to attend too! :D

So, yes! I would do it again if I had the chance to :)

1 comment

  1. Joey's surprise 25th birthday bash. You are such a nice friend who planned this fun party for him. Truly this bash came out great. For my sister I also have been making plans for a surprise bash at the local event space NYC and you have given me some wonderful ideas for the party planning ease.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Theme by BD