Social Media

Malaysian Open, Kuala Lumpur 2015...as a volunteer

Tried typing up an update quickly before I get busy with assignments and tutorials, but failed cz I'm already being overwhelmed. Whoops!

The whole of last last week was dedicated to Malaysian Open, Kuala Lumpur (MOKL) 2015! A nine-day event of tennis tournament, it was held at the Putra Indoor Stadium, Bukit Jalil from the 26th September to 4th October.

Volunteers


First of all, I'd like to express a HUGE thank you to Michelle for lending me her car! I would've collapsed from exhaustion if I were to travel back and forth daily. The first three days I took the public transport, which takes me an hour and a half one way.

I came to know about this event from LIMA's Mike some two years back. Being bored at home during semester break called for a remedy! I Googled up Malaysian Open to see if there is one coming up and there was! Time was on my side as I sent in my application, got on a phone interview and got the job. Bam, done!

Special Events/Promotion (more known as School Promotion) was the department I was in, which consisted of 9 people altogether- Alice (HOD), Shukri, Sofiah, Anne, Basaar, Ezekiel, Naresh, Ameerah and myself.


Our job was basically to handle the schools/institutions/academies/clubs that were registered to visit MOKL. I'd say we did a pretty good job with coordination and teamwork.

Students from schools, universities and orphanages came in buses, which we had to handle them from arrival to departure. Responsibilities included the station set-up; arrangement of goodie bags and refreshments (bread and water). After that is done, standby for scheduled bus arrivals; welcome students; take group photo; briefing on the do's and don'ts while in the stadium; and stamp for entry. My job was to bring 20 speed serve participants to the Interactive Area. From then on, we just wait till the scheduled departure time and ensure buses were ready. Around 4.30pm is when we pack up and the day is done!

The downside in my department was the hours spent waiting- a huge part in our job as we had to wait for bus arrivals and departures. During the first few days, I got sooo tired from waiting as there were only 5 or less buses. It was so unproductive, that I became tired though I barely did anything. So contradicting, right?!

When we're free, it's not like we can help with other departments either cz we had to stand-by for walk-ins from tennis clubs/academies. Plus the credentials limits our mobility. Another major downside- gotta face the haze! It was pretty bad for at least 4 our of 9 days of the event! Fml.

view from Bukit Jalil LRT station, second day of work

out-of-business times :P

Of course our department has its plus sides too! Fun team, which also translates to good team work, awesome HOD that's very diverse in experience and knowledge (makes for great storytimes), free latte supplies, having our own food stash (cz we can't have lunch during lunch hour) of 100 Plus, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, random fruits and quiches! *Drools*

PS: Most people in our department are foodies, perfect fit for me :D

Watching the game was a go too, cz we had a lot of free time. I kinda prefer watching the games at Court 1 cz it's a much smaller venue than the Centre Court, although the players aren't the famous ones la. Also, being stationed at the entrance means we don't freeze like at Level 1 hahaha Best part was deciding between warm (out the door) and chilly (past the door). Additionally, we got to watch autographing players walk by and just...ogle LOL Ivo Karlovic is a giant! O.o

Abang Shukri (guy with cap) treated us to ice cream!

Salmon quiche courtesy of Alice!

Some of us managed to snag an autograph or two from the players. Too bad no Grigor Dimitrov, my favourite *sobs*

Jarkko Nieminen from Finland marked my first tennis player autograph! Wasn't sure if we're allowed to take a picture with him, so we didn't. I took a paparazzi shot instead to excitedly tell Tiia (my Finnish penpal) about it! hahaha Mikhail Kukushkin from Kazakhstan was very late and looked like he just woke up from a nap and was forced to do an autograph session LOL Aleksandr Nedovyesov, also from Kazakhstan was much friendlier and smiley :) And I got a selfie with him hehehe

Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)

Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ)

Aleksandr Nedovyesov (KAZ)


Having no knowledge of tennis prior to the event, I'm glad I managed to kinda learn how the game works from my colleagues and watching the game.

I even found a player I like, Grigor Dimitrov from Bulgaria!! Believe it or not, I didn't even know any tennis players other than having heard of the Roger Federer name (I don't even know how he look like hahaha) O.o I was cheering for Benjamin Becker from Germany too, but when both of them went head to head at the quarter finals, I took Dimitrov's side. And he let me down *sobs* He was the only player I stayed on after my shift for! hahaha No biggie la, I'm not super into tennis anyway.


hottie, Grigor Dimitrov

Being stuck in one department for the entire event, I was glad to be a stand-in at the On-Court Entertainment department during the semi finals! Job was basically to welcome the players into the court at the beginning of the game and a couple of ball girls will get the players to sign the tennis balls to throw into the crowd.

It was a good experience cz I got to see four good players a foot away from me! A bit starstruck la, but disappointed that Dimitrov wasn't in the semi finals *sobs*


Mich & Co. came to watch!

Just to name several good experiences I managed to take away from this event...the kids from one of the orphanages made a point to salam me as they were leaving and I don't know why, but I was so touched, tears filled my eyes. Aiyooo.

Also, I thank God for fulfilling my wish by giving me the opportunity to try out another department- On-Court Entertainment. I guess I just like trying different jobs like at LIMA. I also got to be up-close with 4 players- David Ferrer, Feliciano Lopez, Benjamin Becker and Nick Kyrgios from being the ball girl...in addition to watching them play from a close proximity (which people pay hundreds for!).


Thanks to Nathan, our very cool Volunteer Manager for the opportunity.

Thanks to Alice for being an organized, yet flexible leader; open-minded and willing to share your life experiences with us; and also, for the endless coffee supply and delicious salmon quiche. Will visit FOC some time soon :)

Thanks to Oscar (On-Court Entertainment HOD) for being welcoming during my stand-in, the simple and clear instructions; being honest with me about my slight slouching which happens when I'm tired hahaha; and also for agreeing with me that I look wayyyy better with my hair down :P

Thanks to my School Promotion team of foodies for the pretty good team work; and food-talks when we have too much time on our hands :P

4 comments

  1. oh now my name appears for the first time in a bblog hahah great review Naomi and greater pleasure to meet u :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellooo! Haha we should totally do a gathering at Alice's cafe!

      Delete
  2. Such an inspiring volunteering story - I gotta start volunteering as well! Plus you got to meet Jarkko. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! and you should totally look up local events where you're at, it's pretty fun :)

      Delete

Instagram

Theme by BD