Social Media

Penang Food Hunt: Drool-worthy Oyster Omelet and More..

It's Penang timeeeeeee!

I finally took time off to make a trip to Penang! It was SO AWESOME as Michelle and I went to Penang for food! Yes, solely for food.

I've only been in Penang for a day, in 2011 after my first LIMA. Why only a day? Because I was darn tired, I dozed off every 5 seconds of stillness lool So we had to cancel our trip :/

We managed to snag a cheap flight to Penang for RM44 per person, but no cheap return flight :( Our flight was at 9.30am, so we took a cab to KL Sentral then a the airport bus (Aerobus) to KLIA2! I was really excited cz I've never been to KLIA2 and there's been a lot of hype about it.

The place is bigger than KLIA1, it seems. And wayyyy more shops and restaurants there. So glad we have KLIA2 now as our low cost airlines terminal cz LCCT was horrible lol



Breakfast was KFC! We thought it was RM5 for the Breakfast Zinger Burger so that was our deal breaker from considering other restaurants....not until the cashier asked us what drinks we wanted and charged us extra RM4.50 =.=" Good thing the burger was yummy although tiny...


I felt very chill(read: lazy) this trip cz it's Michelle's 3rd time and she basically knows her way around. This resulted in my dependency, just letting her guide me to the places we've planned to go haha

I usually do my research and make sure I remember my routes, but since I was so busy with assignments prior to the trip, she did all the research and while in Penang, I didn't even automatically remember the way back to our hotel! O.o bad bad bad..

We left the airport by bus to Komtar. In the bus, there were 2 girls who were visiting Penang for their first time and did NO research lmao That's worse than me, right? hahaha Michelle helped explain to them where's what before they decided to stop for lunch while we carried on to check into our hotel.

Our budget hotel, D Mo Inn is on Chulia Street. Upon knowing the name, I casually told Mic that it sounds like Demon Inn....and she freaked LOL

First stop on our food hunt was Ais Tingkap! Soooo thirsty, some cold drink was much needed!


menu

While we were taking photos, his friends noticed we're tourists and got us to take a photo with the drink maker haha He was really shy at first, but not bad, he did the thumbs up like his friends told him to!

with the sporting Ais Tingkap maker

Ais Tingkap is made up of rose syrup, coconut water, some coconut flesh and chia seeds(or what I like to call frog eggs).



Ais Tingkap
Tamil Street, Georgetown
Opens from 11am onwards


Lunch time was right after our drink stop. My most-awaited food for this trip- FRIED OYSTER OMELET!!!!!! Michelle and even Rebecca(who usually don't fancy oyster omelets) was raving about it, so it must be goooood!

master chef uncle cooking the awesome omelet!

The stall is part of Lam Ah Kopitiam which has limited tables and chairs...and tonnes of people, but just a little wait and some eye signal to the lady boss of the shop and she'll find seats for you. It's really common to share tables with strangers, so be ready for that.

Also, it'll take approximately 15 mins for you to get your omelet cz the uncle makes like 5 plates per batch. I guess it's to retain the quality of the omelet.. So yeah, it's quite slow, but worth the wait. Like definitely worth the wait.

The oyster omelet comes in 2 sizes- Medium (RM6) and Large (RM10). When placing your order, just tell the uncle which price you want to indicate the size.

Sososososo good! This, is the worth-the-wait yumminess of RM6

Just look at this. Just loooook!

Unlike the usual oyster omelets, the uncle made the omelet first by mixing his secret batter(that makes the SUPER crispy crust) and eggs. After that's done, he cooks the oysters separately and top it off on the omelet. Different method, but omg so good I'm drooling while typing!

when in Penang, drink white coffee

The RM6 plate was definitely not enough, but we decided to walk around and snack on the way.

Lam Ah Kopitiam
Chulia Street
10.30am-4.30pm
Closed on Sundays and public holidays


Penang is famous for its wall paintings besides yummy-ass food, but I'm kinda camera shy when it comes to taking solo pics...so I only have an awkward one of the very familiar children on a bicycle.


random signboard for photo-taking. reminds me so much of history!


We stumbled on a store, 70's Ice which sells the ice ball dessert from my parents' childhood days! We've always heard them raving about it with a sparkle in their eyes.. but never actually seen one in real life. So imagine how excited we got when we saw it!!!


It's really easy to make and very cheap cost-wise too! She basically just had shaved ice in two bowls, put it together and roll roll roll till it combines into a ball! Then just choose whatever flavoured syrup and drizzle. It probably only cost like RM0.80 to make it? But we bought it for RM3! Crazy good money, right!!!

We chose rose syrup- the classic and sarsi. The girl told us the correct way to enjoy this dessert is to just suck on the ice, not actually eating it.

being Asian

suck the ball!! lolol


The ice ball was such a great dessert to have on a blazing hot day like that day in Penang...or just Malaysia when it's not monsoon season lolol

70's Ice
Armenian Street
10.45am-6pm
Closed on Mondays


Walked around more since we had so much time on our hands! I love the carefree-ness of this trip!



We then took a free bus to this food court place which I have no idea what its name is...but you'll see haha Michelle brought me to this stall called Hameed 'Pata' Special Mee.


Pata mee sotong

I have no idea what 'pata' means, but the dish is mee goreng mamak with sweet and spicy squid slices! We got the RM5 plate, the smallest...and yet I couldn't finish it O.o

our "teatime"

As for drinks, the stall next to the mee sotong's was Jalil Special Ais Kacang & Coconut Shake. We got ourselves coconut shakes and coconut water cz it's just sooo good!




Fort Cornwallis Food Court
Padang Kota Lama
11.30am-8pm
Closed on Sundays


Next, we dropped by Ming Xiang Tai for some Chinese pastries. Chinese pastries are like tau sar piah(mung bean biscuits), lao gong ping(husband cake lolol), lao po ping(wife cake hahaha) and egg tarts. They also have soya bean drink and tau huay(tofu pudding).

because I'm all about that bass, 'bout that bass lolol




got ourselves some egg tarts, tau sar piah and siew bao!

They're famous for their Trishaw Egg Tarts. Those were worth the hype. The pastry is so flaky good, the eggy part is soft and so fresh!


I didn't like their siew bao though...I think because Ming Xiang Tai is pork-free, they substituted the roasted pork with roasted chicken and it tasted odd.


Ming Xiang Tai
Burma Street
8am-11pm


We went back to the room to nap for a bit...too tired from all the walking and eating hahaha I like trips like these, so I much prefer going places on my own than following a tour cz then I won't get to take my own sweet time to really enjoy my trip. We freshened up before heading out for dinner of nasi briyani!

beef briyani

garlic cheese naan with tandoori chicken

watermelon juice for some fiber :P

Restoran Kapitan
Chulia Street
Open 24 hours


To end the night, we went to Batu Feringghi for the night market...since it was too dark to see the beach anyway :( At least there's Hard Rock Hotel nearby! The Hard Rock Cafe has lots of lao hiao(old people who acts young), man lolol So disturbing.

Pretty lights!

Michelle with The Beatles

Before heading back, we then went Straits Quay for the view! Straits Quay is so pretty! Mostly because I love seeing open spaces with lots of stars in the sky. It's been a while since I saw stars...and the yachts lined up looks quite nice too!


And that is how our first day in Penang ended.

To more good food and walking walking!!

2 comments

Instagram

Theme by BD