Social Media

Brush Guard & Brush Cleaning Routine

The Brush Guard


Brush guards are used to protect the brushes from losing its shape in the drying process. A brush guard is a mesh material glove for you brush so it retains its original new brush shape, without drying in a fan out or out-of-shape manner.

I got myself the Variety Pack (RM28)- 1 large, 2 medium, 2 small, 1 extra small.

On most websites, a pack retails at RM25. But since I wanted convenience, I just got it from the same website, Lovely Adornment.

Worth the buy? Kind of. It's good when put into use, but you can also dry your brushes using whatever methods you can think of...as long as the brushes are tilted downwards/upright. Then again, you'll need it to keep the shape.

Where to buy? SerendipityLovely Adornment and other websites.

Sephora Daily Brush Cleaner



To clean your brushes, you have the option of using liquid cleansers, wet wipes, dish wash and shampoo.

When I first wanted to start cleaning my brushes, I wanted the easy way to do it. So when I stumbled on one at Sephora, I bought it. I find that both cleaner and wet wipes are good for daily cleaning after every use or new colour(depending on the brush), but not good enough to get all the stale products out of the brushes.

The brushes will feel clean, but not look clean...so they're not that clean after all lolol

Worth the buy? No. I can easily use cheap facial wipes after every use cz it does pretty much the same thing.

Where to buy? Sephora stores


-Below is how I clean my brushes-

Supposedly, I clean it after every use...but I don't cz I'm either rushing out right after putting my makeup on, or I'm just too lazy LOL To be fair, I only use it once a week..or twice at most. This is how I would do it if I did clean it with discipline..I've actually done it, just not for long.

Brush cleaner, dirty brushes, lint-free cloth

*For lint-free cloth, I use the cloth for my glasses. It works awesome :D


Spritz the product about 3-4 pumps on the brush head. That's what I don't like cz as I clean, I'll have to spritz another time making it like 8 pumps and that's a lot of product. Makes me feel like I'm using too much product and wasting it. Spritz away my money! :(


Once the brush is wet with the liquid, swirl it around on the cloth to get the stale makeup out. It'll dry out, then you'll have to spritz more product onto the brush and keep swirling till you're happy with the result.


Photo above is just to show how it's done. If you were to do it after every use, obviously it'll have better result. However, the foundation on this brush is of a month's worth..so it doesn't clean entirely.

This brings me to my next routine- deep cleaning.


You're supposed to use a mixture of dish washing liquid(anti-bacteria properties) and extra virgin olive oil(condition the bristles). But I, however do not have olive oil..so I improvised :P I use my shampoo for coloured hair and conditioner lolol

I know, there's no anti-bacterial properties..but clean better than not clean, right? It works la hahaha


Firstly, run warm water through the bristles. It not only wets the brush, but the temperature helps loosen up the makeup particles. I always tilt the brushes downward cz I don't want any water reaching the base of the bristles or it'll loosen up the glue's grip. That's a no-no.


Pick up the cleaning agent(aka shampoo and conditioner) with the brush, mixing both the products together.


Swirl the brush on clean damp palm. As you go round in circles, the stale makeup will come out...mixed with the cleaning agent. Quite satisfying to watch, if you ask me hehe 


Just keep swirling till you think it's clean. Then continue on with other brushes. I usually leave it at the side of the sink while I wash other brushes. I just have this logic that as the shampoo is left on the bristles, it'll break down any leftover product.



Then, just run the bristles under water. Rinse it thoroughly by swirling it on the palm repeatedly. Yes, this process requires a lot of swirling... Chocolate and vanilla, swirrrrl-irl hahaha (for those who watched Orange Is The New Black would know)


Once the brushes are free of soap, dry it with paper towel. I like using paper towel cz it doesn't tear easily, so no yucky tissue bits are stuck to the bristles.


Wear em' brush guards according to the sizes and you're done! I use a curved plate for the drying process so that the brushes are titled downwards. That'll help any excess water drip down onto the plate, instead of staying at the base of the bristles.

Andddd that's it! I leave my brushes to dry overnight...sometimes one and a half days.


Any tips on brush cleaning to share?

Post a Comment

Instagram

Theme by BD