Social Media

MyTwoCents: Benefit They're Real


A month ago, I bought my first mascara to be added into my makeup bag! Can you believe it? I've been wearing makeup- foundation, powder, eyeliner, blusher, lipstick, lip gloss and eye shadow(even this, I only started a few months ago) WITHOUT mascara!

I've always known the importance of mascara but somehow I've been buying other essential products without prioritizing mascara. At least I got it now! haha I feel that mascara completes the eye make up and even if you don't feel like using eye shadow or sometimes even eyeliner, mascara will help open up your eyes and you'll have a natural-looking bright, awake and pretty eyes *bats eyelashes*

Although I've never owned one, I've tried it a couple of times...maybe 3 times, from stealing Michelle's Maybelline and Clinique mascaras when she's not looking hahaha Being a rookie at using mascaras, I'm not able to coat every strand and will definitely poke my eyes at least twice LOL Initially, I didn't like how it feels with mascara on because I thought it felt uncomfortable, but you'll get used to it and it really isn't that bad.

Oh! I remember now! The reason I never got a mascara was because I wear glasses. Having tried on Michelle's mascaras, my coated lashes will be against my lenses and it didn't feel nice. Plus, I don't like it if some product stained my glasses.


For a few months, I've been looking around for a mascara I'd enjoy using and while I lust over Cover Girl's Lash Blast Volume, we don't have it here :( Soooo,I decided to buy Benefit's They're Real in mini size at Benefit, Starhill when I saw it at Sephora KLCC a few days before! The full size costs RM90 and the mini one costs RM40. Definitely worth buying the full size, but I don't have RM90 to spend on mascara and I just wanted to try it out.

It's really cute and tiny! Just count the lines on your test pad to find out haha


Yes, it's cute and tiny but...it's slightly more difficult to coat the lashes since I'm not only a newbie at handling mascaras, I also have not mastered the angles I'm comfortable with. Again, I tend to poke my eyes during application, lesser now as I'm getting familiar.

During a makeup workshop at Benefit(will blog later), I got to try the full size They're Real mascara and it felt so much easier to apply! Because the wand is longer, I felt more comfortable not having my fingers so close to my eyes.

And now for my introduction to the product. The wand bristles are like the regular ones and it is rubbery, but what's special is the head or the tip of the wand is designed in a dome shape with "spikes" which are also the bristles! Now now, the dome shape tip has its own purpose.

Excitedly bought a black lash curler from Forever 21 which is just horrible

Forever 21's expertise is on clothes, so I don't blame them for their pretty bad quality of lash curler. It made my lashes bend(not curl) 90ยบ! I was so mad that I spent RM9 on it LOL

All's not lost for my lashes. Why? Remember I stated that the dome-shaped tip has its own purpose? It is to do what a lash curler does. How awesome is that?! At the workshop, we were told to hold the wand vertically and push the lashes upwards, creating the lifting-curling effect before holding it horizontally and wiggling the brush to coat the lashes as you normally would.



Pretty good for curling without a curler!


The tip helps with lifting, some curling and separating the lashes so it doesn't stick together. Talk about multitasking! So for now, I'll just make full use of the wand till I feel the need to invest in a lash curler. Shu Uemura's is apparently really good, but for a jobless person like me, I don't need such an expensive one.

The length and volume can be built by applying a few coats after each coating dries. I usually only apply one coat and occasionally two because I don't like my lashes to be too lengthy(as I wear glasses). No doubt this product can really lengthen your lashes, but I'm happy with the length one or two coats give me. Will lengthen it more if I miraculously get contact lenses haha 



The longest I've gone with my this mascara on was for about 6-7 hours or so and it didn't smudge, which is a reaaaaally good trait. I don't like any eye makeup smudging or smearing, so it's very important that my mascara doesn't smudge :)

Verdict: 8.5/10 I would totally buy it again when this mini size finishes(gonna have to save up for the full size though :/)

I've been wanting to try a Maybelline mascara since they're good for that(and like 3 times cheaper than Benefit hahaha), but they have too many to choose from! Any suggestions?

Post a Comment

Instagram

Theme by BD