Social Media

LIMA 2013, Part Two: New Faces

22nd March
The 2013 volunteers arrived in Langkawi in the evening!!! We were sent back to our room to pack up and shower, then Mr. Suren came with the van to pick us up, got four new volunteers and off we went to Lancons Hotel!! Lancons is about a 5-10mins walk from Sandy Beach, opposite Underwater World.

I was mad happy when Mr. Haswan informed us that we'll be moved there as I've stayed there before..after the previous LIMA when my family came to join me :D It was definitely better!! More spacious and there's heater! :D

We boarded the same bus as the volunteers that stayed at Lancons and left for MIEC.

There, we met more of the new volunteers and got them their name tags :D I discovered a blog reader of mine then haha He was like "You're Naomi, right?" and I went "Yeah...", feeling quite O.o. Then he continued by asking if I went for a Christian concert in Kluang..that's how I know he read my blog lol (post here) According to him, he went too.

Anyway, we split them up into groups once they're gathered by jobs; Liaison Officers, Information Counter, Operations and so on. And we, the "seniors", brought them on a night tour!!!! Vern, Char and I took the LO group, while Gup took her Info Counter minions hahah

We understand their tiredness, coming all the way from KL for about 8 hours or so. So, Mr. Fairul took over for a Q&A session and they're allowed to go back.

23rd March
Three days till the show begins!

Gurpreet had to make sure everyone knows their jobs. Halfway through the list, electricity went out and we were left in darkness in the Pre-Function Room. Nothing's gonna stop us from doing our job! Thanks to Khairul's phone, we had light haha

Gup at work. (Photo credits to Char)

Initially, the plan was for the volunteers that has experience to take a group and brief them on what their job requires them to do. But as we were briefing them halfway, Miss Azlin called everyone back to the Volunteers' Room in the Organisers' Office(OO).

Here's a behind story. An Iraqi guy, named Mazin(I call him Mezzanine) left a rather bad first impression on Char and I. During the night tour as our group walked past Vern's group, which he was in, he went "Oh, so the women are leading here..come on, men" or something along that line. We just scoffed at him hahaha Unfortunately, when we chose Group 1 to give the briefing, he was in our group! Since Char and I planned on splitting our group into two, I quickly said she can have him before she could realise he's in our group hahaha But nah, didn't happen anyway :P

Meeting spot, Volunteers Room (Photo credits to Char)

I don't remember us having time off to walk around outside the office, but judging from this picture, I think we did!

Look familiar? (Photo credits to Char)

Tadahhhh!

Ended work before sunset, finally!!! It was laundry day and we got the chance to walk on the beach as we wanted to check out the Yellow Cafe along Pantai Cenang.

Love the sand

..though it hurt my toes. Some sand got into the sides of my big toenails, and it had that itchy-pain feeling. In addition, my toenails are so unhealthy and cracked.. All this made me wanna go for a pedicure...till now!

I wanna try parasailing someday :)


(Photo credits to Char)




For the first few nights, dinner was paid by the organisers. This evening, though..we got to have dinner at Nasi Kandar Tomato Restaurant! I had Nasi Briyani which was yummmmmmmy! Felt so happy eating that because other than the rices from office and a Malay restaurant(which we forgot to pay), we've been eating McDonald's since it's right opposite our hotel, most convenient.

We drank McFloat almost every night, especially Char haha

For those who want to know about the funny story of how we "forgot" to pay the for the food at the Malay restaurant...Mr. Haswan, Mr. Fairul, Mr. Suren and the other early bird volunteers, on the first night, went to a Malay restaurant for dinner. As Vern, Gup, Char and my food came rather late, most of them left, leaving us and a few others. 

Thinking Mr. Haswan has already paid, upon finishing our food, we left and went for a walk along Pantai Cenang. When sir got the van to pick us up and as I open the door, he asked "Eh? Ya'll paid for the food already?", thinking he was joking, we all laughed and said "Yep, you lah" but was replied with a shocked face saying "Huh? I haven't paid yet! Ya'll didn't pay?". Then, we knew he wasn't joking. We quickly hop into the van and went back to pay. Funnily enough, the restaurant people 1)didn't realise we haven't paid 2)forgot our order hahahaha Damn funny lah!

After dinnering at the nasi kandar place with Vern and friends, we headed to Starbucks at Cenang Mall for Earth Hour! At 8.30pm, they turned the lights off except for a few at the counter area.

My very first Earth Hour :D

Our coffees and an apricot cake to share!



Enjoying coffee and WiFi...

...in the dark (Photo credits to Char)

Just as we thought, finally a night off after many late late nights(as late as 1am), we were called and asked to be at our hotel as Mr. Haswan and the van was waiting there for us to go back to MIEC hahah *face palm*

24th March
Due to miscommunication, about 10 of us rushed out over 1000 Welcome Packs in an hour and a half.

Everyone have already gone back, but no choice. We have to get it done, no? Was sooo tired, felt like just dropping dead, but phew! We managed it all done :)

Our pride (Photo credits to Char)

25th March
Just ONE day before the real deal begins!

I decided to treat myself to some foot massage after bearing with my super aching feet for the past five days.

I was damn excited when I found out the famous Teratai Reflexology in Langkawi was only a two-minute walk from our hotel! But the massage wasn't up to my expectation in the end :(

Starting off with foot bath


Gup and Char were dead tired and sleepy, but didn't wanna let me be at the reflexology place alone :') 

It's startingggg!


My masseuse!

I went for the massage at about 11pm and I think all the masseuses were sleepy. I caught mine almost dozing off many times..I call it the Vern syndrome since I caught him dozing off in the office too hahaha!

Reason why I said the massage was not up to my expectations is.. it wasn't hard enough, though I told him to massage harder haha He's probably sleepy, that's why. Oh well.. it was like he's tickling my foot or something LOL

(All massage photos credits to Char except last photo)

Ready for business?!!!!!!..be patient, ya :P

Post a Comment

Instagram

Theme by BD