Social Media

LIMA 2013, Part Three: Time for Business

What do we do when we have free time on our hands and are back to the Organiser's Office? Answer:


We're the happy and fun trio aka Mr. Fairul's angels(reference: Charlie's Angels) and Mr. Haswan's favourite JB girls :DDD

In case you were wondering, no, we do not step into the OO and start laughing our butts off. If we did, there must be something in the air of the OO :/ But we have fun at almost all times, way to lighten everything :)

26th March
My delegate this year is the Thai Deputy Permanent Secretary, ACM Winai Plengwittaya.

*Accompanying Officers(AO) are from MINDEF for the international delegates to liaise with us. At the same time, there will be AO's from whichever country the delegate is from to be by his side.

I met my AO, Madam Malar a day before, the 25th, to brief her on what is to be passed to the delegate, what we'll be doing and booths we'll visit. Thank God she's really nice as she's not from the army department, but more of the management side. On the 26th, right after the Opening Ceremony and Flypast, I met her together with the Thai delegate & gang. Time to get the job done!

(Photo credits to Captain Tony)

Although my delegate is the deputy permanent secretary and was supposed to visit booths as scheduled(both maritime and aerospace), I was told my delegate only wanted to visit booths that concerns with planes since he's a pilot. And upon meeting him, he narrowed down his scope to booths with the future(not latest) technologies *face palm*

I freaked. Literally freaked. So, I left him at Raytheon and ran to the Info Counter. Unfortunately, Info Counter this year kinda sucked, no offence. Thank God for Nalini, one of the few Irfans(a tall one) and especially Vern, who informed me of the booths my delegate should visit. And no thanks to the bad reception, I can barely call my AO, Gup and Vern.

(Photo credits to Captain Tony)

In the above and below photos, he's teaching me how the Eurofighter's technology works. Speaking of which, he's damn awesome because I apologized for the fact that I don't know which is the current, latest and future technologies, but he said "It's okay, I can use my eyes to see and be your adviser". So, I brought him to several booths that stood out most :)

(Photo credits to Captain Tony)

(Photo credits to Captain Tony)

I'm glad my delegate this year is as nice, if not nicer than my previous one. The Myanmar delegate in 2011 was nice, he's just more of the quiet and composed type, whereas this Thai one was very friendly and talkative. I'm surprised(again, in 2013) he's not the strict and stern kind of person.

What more, he was having a bad back. I overheard his conversation with the Raytheon exhibitors that he's been having that for over 10 years :( And during this trip, as you can see, he wore that wrap thingy because it was acting up. So, I'd say he's a super nice person to have as a delegate because trust me, I've faced people who aches..ie. my mom and History teacher. They'd be real cranky when they're hurting..not that I blame them.

Like this photo on Facebook! My delegate's idea for the thumbs up XD
(from left: Mr. Ayuth, ACM Winai, Colonel Apichai from the Thai Embassy, Captain Kornsak or Tony)

We sat down at Sheraton's coffee lounge for a cuppa and have a rest(bad back, remember?) There, he decided to end the day since his flight back was the next day, on a jet with his friend..and he wanted to "Enjoy Langkawi". His own words haha

A few things came out of our conversation then. He changed my name to Maoni(changed places of the M and N alphabets) and I got to know he calls my AO Malai(instead of Malar) on purpose. Also, I told him it's nice talking with a Thai person about his country and all because I studied a little on the Thai history. As I spoke, he kept nodding, wanting me to continue till I have nothing to say. Awkwarddd.. I think it's more of he's proud of his country and wants me to sing praises of Thailand LOL
(Ps: He suggested I visit Phuket)


As I ran back to the OO to get my camera, I left my phone on the coffee table..I don't know why I trusted them hahaha but anyway, I came back to a sachet of sugar, slot in my phone sock with "Need soap" written on it. I get it! It's dirty! I'll wash it soon haha

Exactly like this!

While I was being the Liaison Officer of my delegate, Charmaine was being the LO of the Prime Minister! For her experience, keep a close eye here!

Syaim and Char being the last minute LO's for the Prime Minister, Dato' Sri Haji Mohammad Najib bin Tun Haji Abdul Razak

I met up with Char and hung around for about 10mins before going back to the OO for water..felt so dehydrated! Imagine running around the huge air-conditioned exhibition hall. Need water to prevent bad, dry skin and fainting spells!

Later, while Char was busy with PM, Gup and I went galloping around the exhibition hall, making many turns by the booths, contemplating if we should thickened our skin to approach exhibitors for souvenirs...and found ourselves at Eurofighter's booth! While I was re-explaining to her what my delegate explained to me, out came an exhibitor who invited us to meet the Eurofighter pilots! *jaw drops*
[I'm sad because I think I left the magazine which they signed on back in the OO :(]

Gup in action.

Gup's flying a planeeeee! It's the Eurofighter's flight simulator, by the way :)

with one of the rather famous pilots, also her flight teacher, also Mr. Drunk Pilot hahaha

The photo above turned out bad due to him mocking me. Since my camera took some time to capture the picture, he started counting, hinting I was taking a long time and *chhhhhk*(that's a shutter sound, by the way lmao). His fault, not mine :P He looks drunk due to Gup's flying hahaha kidding!

Among the four pilots we met, including Mr. Drunk Pilot, two of them signed on their article in the LIMA magazine! I can only remember the pilot named Foxy. The exhibitor made us look very fan girl-like, getting all excited to meet and get the pilot's autographs! It was very fun haha Then he told us that the first pilot we met is happily married(to which Gup replied something that I can't recall), before moving on to the next pilot who was gonna fly that afternoon itself!

Okay, back to my delegate. I wrote about how nice my delegate was..and another prove is, he invited me for dinner with his Thai AO's and Madam Malar! I really wanted to join them, but I wasn't sure of the time I'd get off work, so I told Madam Malar to go ahead without me since I didn't want to keep them waiting.

Upon knowing my hotel was 30mins from their resort, my delegate actually considered and made plans for all of them to head over to Cenang Beach for dinner..just for me! :') Part of the reason I told them to go ahead without me was also because the restaurants along Cenang Beach aren't air-conditioned and rather humid. He sweats a lot, I found that out when he asked about the humidity at Cenang Beach. But to think that he was willing to forgo all that inconvenience just to have a dinner with me..it made me really touched and felt real bad for not joining them :(

The photos below were Whatsapp to me from Madam Malar. I guessed it and she confirmed that it was my delegate's idea to get her to snap photos and have them sent to me. Such a jerk, he is haha

(Photo credits to Madam Malar)

Those photos made me laugh, no doubt...because I knew he was trying to make me feel shitty about not joining them haha My delegate's such a funny and cheeky person. I felt like he's very grandfather-ish. When we took the group picture, he said I'm like his daughter. Awwww :)

Well, I had my own yummy dinner that night too! The three of us walk the streets of Cenang Beach every.single.night. It's either for the laundry shop that's situated at the other end of the street, to look for cafes or just because! It's not that far, if you've become used to it. haha Many people are shocked when we say we walk every night..we have muscular calves now hahah!


This is one of the shops we pass by every night during our walking expeditions. A stall outside the shop sells Turkish kebabs and the seller will recite the different kebabs types as we walk pass. Kinda miss that.

So, we finally decided to give it a try since it sounds good to our tummies! I'll write a review on this in a separate post. Keep a lookout, ya!

My dinner. Deer meat kebab :)

gave a piece of Baklava a try too

27th March
WARNING: 27th has many photos, be ready to be on a scrolling spree!

I'M FREEEEEEEEEE! I was suppose to bring my delegate around that day, but he's already flying back at that time, remember?

Madam Malar came to meet me before going off to do more shopping. She said that as they all went to the airport to send my delegate off, he was hoping to see me too. He was like "Maoni is here?". I was like damnnnnnn.. I wish I could send him off, but no, I have work. 

(Photo credits to Madam Malar)

It was a rather work-free day for me, so we walked around and see what we could help with in the office. Couldn't hang at the Info Counter this year due to some reasons..but we found other things to do anyway :)

(Photo credits to Khairul Hanif/KH)

We have de-briefing after the exhibition closes every day. While everyone is usually rushing to get on the bus(like we did last LIMA), this year, we kinda chilled a little because we know 1)They'd wait for us haha 2)There's always the van XD So, here are photos before going back!

*In the Volunteers' Room is where we have meetings, we eat, we chill.

(Photo credits to KH)

(Photo credits to KH)

Introducing Yound Face #3, Faris. (Photo credits to KH)

I don't get it, really. There were a few people that looked younger than their age. Last year, we found Khairul aka Young Face #1(whom I credit for these photos). And this year, there's Muiz aka Young Face #2 and then we found Faris aka Young Face #3.

In Faris' case, I've always thought he was maybe a year younger than us. Then he offered me M&M's while I was in a rush to get things done for my AO, and from there, we became friends and I later found out he's actually our age O.o

Seriously, I think these guys secretly use botox or some age-slowing-down-process product LOL Guys, take it as a compliment that you look young XD (Same goes to Joe haha)

that's Dora the Explorer, Amir's girlfriend :) (Photo credits to KH)

Mr. Fairul, the party animal. Point of this photo is actually us in the background, not him hahaha (Photo credits to KH)

Our Bollywood star, Mezzanine (Photo credits to KH)

Okay, he isn't very Bollywood...more of a terrorist that's always thinking about ambushing and bombing and killing us hahaha Don't worry, he's not dangerous..at least for now XD

LIMA exhibition is mainly about fighter jets, warships, guns, missiles, all these latest technology, but there's also the Tourism Malaysia booth! Last year, they had a more kampung(village) set-up. This year, just a regular booth..but there was Coffee Painting! And the dancing Teh Tarik man, foot reflexology by Alun-Alun Spa and a Wood Carving corner(which the person is never there when we visit).

(Photo credits to Char)

Amanda Zulkifli, the only coffee painter in Malaysia and one of the few in the world. You can find her and her paintings at Amanda's Coffee & Tea, Pekan Rabu, Kuah, Langkawi. Enjoy a sip or two of coffee while you're there too! Read some pretty good reviews on them coffee :)

(Photo credits to Char)

She took some time to tell us about what she's best at- coffee painting. From the length of time it takes to dry each layer to using different types of coffee to the convenience of being a coffee painter..you know, all she has to do is just carry a few small containers of dried, thick coffee while she travels to exhibitions, as opposed to many water colour paints.

She said each layer has to be completely dried under natural conditions(not sunlight or hair dryer) before painting on the next layer, so that the tones doesn't get ruined by merging with the previous damp layer. And you can't take the shortcut of making it dry fast with sunlight because coffee, especially the 3-in-1, has sugar in them..so it'll make the painting sticky. We don't want that, do we?

In the process of painting the Wayang Kulit(Shadow Puppets) (Photo credits to Char)

Dinner at night with only Char. Gurpreet wanted no distractions while she settled her NUS application at McDonald's. Apparently, we're her distractions. It's good in a way haha That's why I can't do study group..I'm more of a loner when it comes to studying. Having people around makes me want to do anything other than study haha So, I could understand where she's coming from.

If you think I'm a fussy eater, think again. Gup is at least three times fussier than me haha Mainly because of religion restrictions..like she can't eat halal meat. Also, she doesn't like seafood due to the fishy smell. Actually, I'm not as fussy as I was in my childhood days..at least I eat vegetables now(though only certain types) and more than just chicken curry my mom cooks LOL

After the many unhealthy meals..ie. McDonald's(because of convenience) and Maggi Cup(for when our energy is used up before lunch or dinner breaks at work), Char and I decided to get seafood that night! AI mean, we are in Langkawi! That spells for fresh seafood!! Too many restaurants to choose from, so we settled for Orkid Ria Seafood.

(Photo credits to Char: top)

We got a glass of Coke+Rum and Carrot Milk just so we have a safe drink to turn to when the alcohol taste gets too overwhelming. I wanted to get an alcoholic beverage on a night out with them, but after considering the fact that alcoholic drinks are expensive, I gave it a pass. Plus, safer to drink when Joe's around :)


(Photo credits to Char)


I was quite very happy, thanks to the balanced diet. Felt so healthy *sighhh* The food was good, but I can find better.

Fried rice for two.

Baby kailan with oyster sauce

Fu yong tan(Omelette)

Butter prawns!!!

My favourite dish was the vegetables. I know, it's quite shocking coming from me haha The fried rice was not bad, I prefer this one than the one mom usually buy from the restaurant nearby my house. Omelette was slightly burnt and quite hard :/ Butter prawns were nice, but again, I can find much tastier ones in JB.

We had a cup of KahlĂșa with vanilla ice cream for dessert. I had that the last time I was there with my family and it was yummy! :D

Altogether, it came up to about RM75 for two people, which is expected :) Maybe the next time I'm there for LIMA, I'll give other seafood restaurants a try :D

KahlĂșa with vanilla ice cream for dessert


Wanna see more of the pretty girls and good looking guys? Or...yourself? Keep checking back for the next post! (My Twitter and Facebook updates works fine too)

2 comments

  1. wooohooooo! I love the pictures of you and your delegate (with his waistband) hahaha nice blogpost, Nay Nay! can't wait for the next post and more of me! :P heheh

    ReplyDelete
  2. naomi you are slimmer!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Theme by BD