Social Media

USA | Touring San Francisco


- 19 March 2017 -

Jumping out of bed into Day Two in San Francisco with breakfast in Chinatown (not at Tiffany's).

Why Chinatown again? Because it's convenient and there's another famous dim sum! Told ya if it's famous, we'll be there (can't believe we missed The Cheesecake Factory! I know, wtf?!).

The dim sum was from Good Mongkok Bakery and it's in a takeaway style. My memory is failing me, but I think we bought some lotus bao (bun with lotus paste filling) and har gao (steamed shrimp dumpling). Naturally, we Yelp-ed for a bubble tea place to supplement our dim sum.

The only thing I remember about the bubble tea shop was the uncle (bubble tea seller) who got really excited knowing we're from Malaysia (whom he initially thought were Japanese) as he's been to Penang several times.







Dumping? No, thanks!





All fueled up, it was time to explore the city! We made our way to the nearby Cable Car pick-up point and got the fares ready in my pocket - $7 per person.

There are two lines that moves along the same route before dispersing into two - 1) Powell and Hyde, 2) Powell and Market.

As a cable car approached us, we got really excited to get on (assuming it's the Powell and Hyde one we're supposed to take), but the conductor stopped the cable car and politely informed us that it's full, and there's next one is right behind.

It warmed my heart that he bothered to stop the vehicle and nicely tell us instead of driving past us. Anyway, it's a good thing we didn't board it because that was the Powell and Market.

I was really aiming to get the standing part of the cable car and OMG, we got it! They would usually fill up the seats first before allowing passengers to stand on the sides of the cable car. So, we scoooored! Surprisingly, Michelle enjoyed it too (she's usually very safe and she dislikes "dangerous" stunts).  

Our destination, Lombard Street aka Crooked Street was the last stop and since it was in the middle of a busy road, all passengers alighted and were chaotically told to move to the side of the road instead of you know, taking pictures on the cable car as typical tourists would do.

After taking photos and happily carrying on with my day, I put my hand in my pocket and felt some paper money.
Eh? How come I have money in my pocket?
Oh, we didn't pay for the cable car!
...well, free ride for us then!

And so the Dishonest Asians return (Mich realized earlier but she didn't bother telling me LOL) #win.

Okay, honestly, I felt bad about it but the cable car had already left. Plus, the conductor didn't ask for the payment. So... *shrugs*






From Lombard Street, it was just steep streets all the way down to the pier. Walking down was a task of its own, imagine walking up the street (we did that too, workout for the year - done!). What's fun though, is walking along the streets by the bay.

Everything was so Insta-worthy, but alas, I'm not an Insta famous person nor do I know how to pose, so... generic touristy photos it is! (Side note: I should really learn to pose with all these places I'm visiting, such a waste!)

One of the many things that got me excited was the Ghirardelli Square! Ghirardelli chocolates are on the top of my list. OMG, my favourite Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel *heart eyes* You could only imagine my excitement when there's a freaking café! We visited on another day though, not this one. But of course, I had to take a picture.








Bad stamina calls for exhaustion from walking uphill.



Despite getting starry-eyed upon looking at cyclers around, I dragged my feet to the City Sightseeing San Francisco Hop On - Hop Off office to pick up our passes. We got ourselves the 2 Day Tour (approximately $60) for the convenience of seeing as many places as possible within a short period of time, and for when our legs are tired...and of course, the random fun facts of the city.

I never really gave Hop On - Hop Off tours much thought, but after using it I'd say it's great if you're traveling with very limited time but want to cover as many areas as possible. We board and alight whenever we wanted - all we had to do was wait at the pick-up point and wave the map brochure to signal the bus to pick us up.

So, we still got to explore on foot with the option of resting our legs while still moving around. It's also a great mode to get to further places like the Golden Gate Bridge. And we utilized it, of course.









As much as I wanted to cycle across the Golden Gate Bridge, I shall just have to save that for my future trip. We took the bus across into Sausalito, a small city with huge expensive houses perched on the hillside. Being there made me feel like I went slightly back in time, what with the old-ish picturesque shops along the street.

Before dropping us off, the bus driver recommended several places to eat, from restaurants to burger shops to ice cream parlours. Not sure if he gets a cut from the profit, but it sounded like he did haha

Our stomachs knew it was time for lunch, no need for checking watches. Hungry, we went to a fancy burger and wine place, Napa Valley Burger Company.  We ordered a beef burger and truffle fries to share as we were unsure of the portion size. Indeed, we made the right call. The burger was delicious and big in portion that we were both super full despite sharing.

Enjoying the chill vibes of Sausalito after a good lunch felt like the life. Despite the amount of tourists in such a small radius, it was still calm. Vintage cars with the tops down, restaurants on wooden stilts over water, and rock balancing art. We covered it in some two hours, some good chill two hours.

Made a pit stop for ice cream before heading to the bus, which was recommended by the bus driver - Lappert's Ice Cream, known for its various flavours. I don't remember what flavour I got, but looking at the menu and knowing me, I probably went for the Hawaiian Sea Salt Caramel (sea salt on everythingggggg!).








Rock Balancing by Bill Dan

A sign said "no taking photos of the rocks", but no one said I can't take photos of me (with the rocks)!












José, the very enthusiastic bus driver

Back in SF city, it was just bus all the way because the gloomy rainy weather made us feel so tired and lazy. Sitting at the top of the roofless bus was too cold! But it was the only way to take in the view of the city, so we persevered...with our noses running.

We went past Mission Street, where the trendy shops and hipster cafés are at. That is a must visit the next time we're there. Also the Painted Ladies. We only saw them from afar and the Victorian houses were so damn beautiful. Painted in contrasting colours and outlined with gold paint. Fuh! So expensive!

Enough touring for the day, we alighted at Union Square only to be welcomed by bloomed cherry blossoms. We'd only been away from the city for half a day and they'd bloomed! It's spring time!!





San Francisco City Hall






I remember we had a hard time deciding what to eat for dinner that day. Not feeling burgers or kebabs, a Thai restaurant caught my eyes. But of course, South East Asian food is my go-to. I was reluctant to go in because...come until so far, eat Thai food? But in the end, Mich read my mind and we went for authentic Thai food.

My favourite Thai food ever is Pad Krapow Rice (minced chicken with basil and chili), so that's exactly what I ordered. Michelle got a plate of rice with spicy brinjal.

A funny short conversation with the waitress happened when placing our orders. We told her we wanted our food spicy, and she went "Thai spicy?", smiling borderline-excited-borderline-creepy. YES! Thai spicy! Because American spicy isn't spicy at all for us. The food came, it was really spicy, it felt just like home.


That was the best way to end the night.

The next day was our last day in San Francisco before leaving for Los Angeles. That spells for an early night to make the full use of the next day.

Post a Comment

Instagram

Theme by BD