Social Media

Malacca Food Trip

First trip everrrr(and probably the last before Sherry leaves for Australia) with my highschool friends, Sherry, Pei Li and Irene! It was one heck of a good food trip and I enjoyed myself.

--Day One--

A 10am bus from Larkin brought Sherry and I to Melaka Sentral, the bus terminal. We headed for the KKKL booth to buy our tickets for Sunday as school was going to reopen and most likely there'll be a crowd.

Managed to get a 2pm bus, but we couldn't sit with each other. The last four seats on the bus were 1 and 2, 24 and 25 :(

Got ourselves a cab and headed for Sherry's grandfather's place where we'll be bunking at. His flat is at a rather strategic spot, walking distance to the Lian Bang hawker and Nadeje Jaya 99, about 15 minutes walk to Jonker Street. Okay, maybe it's not that near to the city centre, but can lah hahaha

I was welcomed with a loud barking and a slightly panicky face of an Indonesian maid. The barking was well, from Sherry's grandfather's dog, Lossie in Cantonese(Screwdriver in English), which was rather lonely till we came, I think haha And the slightly panicky face was because Sher and I took a cab when actually her grandfather has been waiting for us at the bus terminal for over an hour. Oops! Communication breakdown :/

1) Lian Bang Hawker
We left for lunch to the Lian Bang hawker at about 2.30pm. Sherry recommended their liang cha(herbal tea), which has a different taste than our usual herbal tea. At the first sip, I thought it taste a bit plum-ish, very nice! They mixed water with a syrup named, Pak Poh or Eight Treasures. I should've bought a bottle back from Jonker Street..about RM6, if I remember correctly.

Pak Poh Herbal Tea

yucky mixed rice

chicken, pork and pig's intestines satay

All these while, I've only eaten satay grilled by a Malay person. This time it was Chinese satay, so it tastes different due to the ingredients used to marinate the meat. Doesn't really satisfy my taste buds though. The peanut sauce wasn't peanuty enough and for once, I didn't know what I was eating(almost never happens). Both the chicken and pork tasted the same haha Sherry got me to try one piece(not stick) of pig's intestine and I did!

I don't eat organs, so that was a challenge. The slice of intestine was a bit chewy and the inner wall was sandy!! I kept thinking of villi the whole time I felt the sandiness hahaha All in all, a good experience :)

2) Min Chong Hygienic Ice Cafe
Next, ais kacang timeeeee! We walked along rows of old time shop houses before arriving in Min Chong Hygienic Ice Cafe. Why 'hygienic'? I don't know hahaha Sherry doesn't like queuing up, hence, brought me to a yummy ais kacang shop which isn't a huge hit with tourists.



Left: Sherry
Right: Our Prime Minister, Najib Razak visited this shop before too!

It's a tiny shop, about a quarter size of a regular modern day shop, with about four tables and a couple of chairs. It was rather cooling though I don't remember them having a fan in the shop :)


the menu on every table

Sherry ordered a bowl of Ais Kacang to be shared as we didn't want to be too full. Hey, more space for more food! If I'm not wrong, we had what is called Iced Pak Poh with milk. It's just a regular ais kacang, but with gula melaka(palm sugar)!

Iced Pak Poh with milk

Pei Li informed us about her transportation woes. Since she and her boyfriend had to look for available friends for transport, we had about 2 hours to waste. What to do? Walk to Jonker Street! The stalls weren't up yet at that time, but the shops on both sides are open. Sherry didn't plan to walk to Jonker at first as she thought it was far, but it wasn't! muahahaha I was happy :D

painted car by the roadside

Sherry in her UV protected top, holding her UV protected cardigan hahaha both from Uniqlo, by the way.


Malacca river

Passed by Hard Rock Cafe, took two photos and left. While planning for this Malacca trip, I wanted to make a visit there but I'm tight on budget and if I were to step into the cafe, I definitely want to dine in there, not just take photos haha So, next trip then! :D

Hard Rock Cafe


3) Funny Egg
Crossed the road and here we are, on Jonker Street! It was a hot hot day. Before leaving, I stumbled on a cute stall called 'Funny Egg'. It's a flavoured ice desert in a form of an egg. It's rather pricey, RM3 each but really yums!

red sour plum flavour

With Sherry's umbrella, we walked to Dataran Pahlawan where Pei Li was waiting for us. Surprisingly, her boyfriend and his friend was there too. I thought it was only her haha Anyway, we left soon after to have Satay Celup!

4) Ban Lee Siang
We opted for Ban Lee Siang on Jalan Ong Kim Wee instead of Capitol because it was rather far and packed. Ban Lee Siang was crowded too, but we managed to get a table. This shop looks more spacious than Capitol, but I wouldn't know..haven't been to the latter before.

RM0.70 per stick

I would call it 'Dipped Satay' in English. Basically, what you do is pick your skewers and dip them into the pot of boiling peanut sauce in the middle of the table. Wait for a minute or two for the food to be cooked and you can eat it!

It was still early, but late enough for the stalls on Jonker Street to be up and running. We enjoyed the air-conditioned ride in car all the way to Jonker Street. As we arrived, it started drizzling. Oh, damn. Pei Li's boyfriend and his friend only managed to get their Funny Egg and we left.

Got back into the car and the most dreaded moment was experienced. The one where we all wonder where to go next hahaha It felt like we were in the car for eternity! Okay, I exaggerated. Maybe about half an hour? In the end, they decided to have lala!

5) Tong Bee's Stall
Tong Bee's Stall is situated off Jalan Bunga Raya. When you see Madam King's Supermarket, look for a lane next to it and you'll see Tong Bee's.

This is easily the highlight of my Malacca trip as I LOVE clams aka lala and it's a whole new experience sitting on a short, rocking-almost-tumbling-over stool, eating fresh clams dipped in a peanut chili paste.



They have cockles, clams and snails for shellfish lovers.They also have rojak, kangkung with sotong(water spinach with squid) and a mix of fish cakes, tau hu(beancurd) and you char kway with peanuts and sweet sauce.

appeared in newspapers

After Googling about this stall, I found out it's been here for the last four decades or so! They've also been featured on food tv programmes! They definitely deserve the spotlight.


very unstable stool

Cockles so fresh that when pried open, it's bloody

MY FAVOURITE CLAMS!!!!!!!


ground peanuts, chili paste and some lime juice. Sooooo good!

Pei Li enjoying some clams

Right: KC, Pei Li's boyfriend
Left: his friend, Leon

I'm not a cockles person as I think it has a stinky smell. All I ate the entire night was clams, clams and clams! You have no idea how good it was!! When in Malacca, go give it a try! We ordered plates and plates of clams and a few plates of cockles since only KC and Sherry was eating the cockles haha

having a hard time prying the shell open

blood from the cockles, by the way

As we were about to leave, it started raining heavily. Managed to get to the car with the help of a few borrowed umbrellas from the stall haha We were drenched twice! Once was when going into the car, and the second was when we got down the car at Sherry's grandfather's.

My Chucks and socks were soaking wet. The kakak(Indonesian maid) was really nice to get my socks washed and my Chucks dried :D Somehow I feel getting drenched in the rain is unexpectedly fun. I feel bad about Leon's car though :/

And with that, end of day one.

--Day Two--

Sherry has a good long sleep while Pei Li and I that woke up at 9am(automatically) stayed in bed, staring at the ceilingl till Sherry wakes haha. Her grandfather bought three packets of noodles for us for breakfast! I kinda freaked when I saw because 1) My breakfast is rather light 2) I don't like noodles of any sort.

He definitely meant well though, since we're under his care haha But I'll feel bad if I can't finish the food and let it go to waste. So, we decided to eat two packets and leave the one packet untouched. I don't know what the noodles is called but it was a mix of yellow noodles, kway tiao, prawn crackers(?? it's they're reddish brown, crunchy and prawny lol) and soup. I should've taken a photo! How did I forget?! If anyone knows the name of it, leave a comment ya!

Met Irene at Dataran Pahlawan and it's Jonker Street time again!!! The stalls weren't up yet, of course. Just for your information, the stalls on Jonker Street starts setting up at about 5pm. However, the shops on both sides of the road are opened since morning.

6) Famosa Chicken Rice Ball
First stop was for Malacca's famous chicken rice ball as Pei Li really wanted to have it and we were both hungry from all the walking before meeting Irene. The famous shops (eg. Chung Wah Chicken Rice Ball) are most of the time lined with queues, so we went for Famosa Chicken Rice Ball instead. It's a red shop in the middle of Jonker Street.

Kampung chicken

Chicken rice balls

Cendol with gula melaka

The really good lightings in this shop was due to a filming that was going on right behind our table. It was an Indonesian channel, filming an Indonesian host interviewing who I think is the boss of the shop.haha No idea who the host was though :/

7) Jonker 88
Jonker 88, famous for their cendol and laksa. We only ordered cendol since we just had our lunch. The shop  has a front and back part, both filled with tables for customers. Even so, due to its popularity, it's just not enough. Thank God, we managed to snag ourselves a table, sharing it with two female strangers :)

Left: Baba Cendol, RM3
Right: Baba Durian Cendol, RM4

mmmm! so yummy! San Shu Gong is definitely way more generous with their durian though.

back portion of the shop



high school friends, Irene, Pei Li, Sherry

The Sun was shining down on Malacca like nobody's business! It was scorching hot, walking along the shops, we were sweating like pigs LOL Then again, I'd rather it's hot than raining. We can't walk freely if it rained :(

8) Geographér Café
We decided to take a seat in this cafe for the air conditioner while Irene went to try on some clothes in the opposite shop and to wait for the stalls to be set up.

Apple Pie

Their Apple Pie was really good! A bit too generous with their apples though haha I'll definitely have it again if given the chance :D I also had coconut water to cool me down on a hot day. Not good. The coconut was too young, so the taste of the water wasn't as sweet and had barely any coconut flesh, if compared to a slightly more matured young coconut L :(

9) Klebang Coconut Shake
While in the cafe, Pei Li informed us that her boyfriend bought four cups of Klebang Coconut Shake for us and he was going to deliver it personally!!! He's so damn awesome for paying for our meals and getting us this coconut shake!

I really really really wanted to have this before going to Malacca, but Sherry said it was too far from the city. So, I planned with Meat to cycle there. I was so damn excited to head there as it's really famous and said to be real yums! Then, a rush of disappointment covered me as Meat backed out of the trip at the very last minute. Oh well.

Tried brainwashing Sherry to go there, but Princess Sherry was undeniably firm on her stand so I was sad :( I didn't let this disappointment bring my trip down, though! I still had fun!

So, when Pei Li told us that her boyfriend bought this coconut shake, I almost faint from hyperventilating hahaha! Nono, not so exaggerated, but I was definitely happy :D



I didn't know what taste to expect from the drink, but I was blown away when I took my first sip. Holy hell, it was good! Like really really yummy good!

The taste of the creamy vanilla ice cream, mixed with the coconut shake..and tiny blended chunks of coconut flesh. Oh my. I'm so going to have that again!

So, thank you to KC for the drink and Leon for driving the coconut shake to Jonker Street hahaha

Just in time, when we were almost done with Jonker Street, it started to drizzle. Quickly, we walked over to Dataran Pahlawan where Pei Li's boyfriend and his friend was picking up from.

10) Steamboat
We had steamboat for dinner. No photo of it :( I must've been too hungry that I forgot my camera. We had two kinds of soups- Chicken and Tom Yam. I took the Tom Yam soup and it was good. They ordered a few plates of pork, which Irene got me to try. It has the stinky pork smell which I don't like..so, no second piece for me.

I do eat pork, but occasionally. And I choose my pork hahah Basically, I eat lap cheong(Chinese sausage) that is fried till it's blackish..I don't eat it steamed. I also eat bak kua(Chinese pork jerky), my favourite, and certain bak kut teh. I love Bak Cheng's Bak Kut Teh in town. Yummy! I can't think of anything else, but there's certainly few more porky dishes I eat, just not often, not much and not just any pork dish.

11) Coconut Jelly
Irene and I bought a coconut jelly to be shared later back in the room. RM4.50 per coconut.



If I'm not wrong, the jelly maker just added some jelly powder into the coconut water and leave it to turn into jelly. When eaten, the coconut juice is very prominent and fresh! Like, you can taste the coconut water, just that it's in a form of jelly. And and..the flesh is good too! It's a bit hard to scrape, but that's because we were using a plastic spoon haha If not, it'll be easy peasy!

Yummy night of gossips, it was XD

--Day Three--

Our bus back to JB was at 2pm and we can't leave Malacca without eating mille crepe cakes from Nadeje! We left it for the last morning since it's about a 5-minute walk from the house to Nadeje Jaya 99.

12) Nadeje
Without breakfast, we walked to Nadeje Jaya 99. Not your typical breakfast, eh? :P There's only a table of customers there when we arrived, which was awesome! Not that I wish bad business on them, but their outlets are always crowded and there'll be a long queue if one were to pay them a visit in the afternoon.


I was looking forward to eating real food there, as in not just the cakes, but the one at Jaya 99 is rather small. Not sure which has food food though? Probably every other outlets haha Shall make a trip to the new KL outlet the next time I go up :D 

Clockwise: Original, Strawberry Chocolate, Malacca, Rum & Raisin

My choice, Rum & Raisin

So far, all the flavours I've tried are really good. Hard to pick a favourite as every flavour is delicious! I love the original flavour too *drools* I wanna try the Hazelnut Praline flavour next :D



Sherry's uncle sent us to the bus terminal, where Pei Li's boyfriend came to send her off. Awww :') Three months semester break of not seeing each other! Can you believe it? Then again, it's good space considering they live in the same house when not on semester break haha

Once touched down in JB, Irene's boyfriend, Zuki brought us to AnMour for lunch. Only Irene and I though, since we both got down at the Sri Puteri stop. So, thanks to Zuki for my Shepherd's Pie :)

Not sure if I'll have the money to make a trip to somewhere else before I enter university or not, hopefully I do :D

6 comments

  1. The original tong bee stall recommend by taste with jason and singapore mark lee. You already go to wrong shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah I did? I can't read Chinese and I didn't realize there's 2 separate stalls till recently haha what's the name of the stall I had those lala then? It was really good!

      Delete
  2. Might be going to the lala stall tomorrow! Thanks for the info ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Theme by BD