Social Media

USA | Campus Life

Huge thanks to World Learning and the U.S. Department of State for the Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD) scholarship, enabling me to experience student life in the United States, specifically at Western Washington University (WWU) for five months.


Just two days into the new year of 2017, I found myself in cold and gloomy Bellingham, Washington - it was wintertime.
*Washington state and Washington, D.C. are two different locations.


Upon touchdown at the Bellingham International Airport, I was welcomed by strong gushes of cold wind as I waited for my carry-on luggage in the open air. Never have I ever shivered so hard in my entire life! As I entered the building, I found myself a new appreciation for the invention of space heaters.

The familiar (result of internet research, not stalking) face of Abigail, the WWU International Student and Scholar Services advisor greeted me with a signage of my name. Vara, a fellow new exchange student was with her too (little did I know we'd become so close down the road).


With new friend, Vara and Abigail waiting to enter BT.

- Buchanan Towers -
Home.


Buchanan Towers (or more dearly referred to as "BT") was my home for the next five months. Located south of the campus, I dare say it's the best residence at Western (only because many others think the same way... or perhaps I'm just biased). And I'm so thankful to be placed there. I noticed it being the residence with the most international students...perhaps it's a marketing strategy, we'll never know.


BT East

View from my room


My suite was shared by four - Olivia (my roommate), Jenny and Masumeh, and myself. Vara moved in after Masumeh left at the end of winter quarter. As a usually anti-social kind of person (especially when it comes to roommates and housemates), I'm glad I got along with all of them really well!

Moving out of UM's 12th College over a year ago, I haven't had to share my room since...so imagine my nervousness in sharing a room again. I cannot thank God enough for having Olivia as my roommate as she really is the best one I've ever had (except when she throws her clothes all over the room #jkjk) and it made the transition a breeze! The entire Room 615 clicked really well and I consider myself really lucky.

Puffy face on the first morning, not a good look.

This bedding set from Target was one of my best buys.

With my long-legged-nap-queen roommate, Olivia.

Best suitemates everrrr! (Olivia was MIA, taking a final)

As if we had all the time in the world and no care for studying 24/7, my friends and I made use of the third floor common area a lot. Okay, to be fair, we used the study room (which we call the "Piano Room") and part of the lounge to study sometimes. Oh, the memories of digesting Islamic Civilizations readings. The multipurpose room (which we call the "Tetris Room") we used for watching Vicky practice for her acting class.

The lounge had study tables, a pingpong table, a foosball table and a TV area where I religiously watched Attack On Titan every Sunday night with the gang. Thanks to Dane and Vara, I also learned a thing or two about pool (although I still suck at it)!

Vicky's audience in the Tetris Room
(Photo credits: Vicky Gonzalez)

Goofing around the lounge.

"Studying" in the Piano Room
(Photo credits: Vara)

I really like the fact that we can have guests staying over. For instance, Michelle could openly stay at my place without sneaking around when she came over to visit. University residences in Malaysia never ever lets you do that - it's freaking illegal! Heck, you can't even enter the university grounds (without a Student ID) without the security thinking you're going to steal their books from the library (yes, quite ridiculous).

BT was da hood and I miss it a lot. From my suite's untimely Halloween and Christmas décor to jumping up my bed (too high for my short legs) and hanging out at the lounge. It was also where my friends and I had home-cooked meals together. Too many memories to not miss it.

- University -
Brownstone buildings and luscious trees.


Western is a pretty big campus surrounded by tall canopies of trees, with a mixture of old rustic buildings and modern architecture throughout. We don't really have brownstone buildings in Malaysia that doesn't look haunted!

As I received my placement prior to my arrival in the States, I Googled the university and it was described as a very green campus. Google certainly did not lie - trees were everywhere, and they have recycling bins in almost every corner!

Road leading to the south of campus.

I could inhale fresh air just by looking at this photo.

Floating heads - an example of bad marketing (of an upcoming basketball game).

Old Main - administrative offices and classes.

Old wooden staircase of Old Main.

Waiting for Vicky in Bond Hall, first week of Winter quarter.

Road to The Ridge



Random swing at the outback farm.

Log Ramps, built in 1974

Stadium Piece aka "M" structure, built in 1979 overlooking Parks Hall and Environmental Studies building.

Hippie so happy

The trees were so in abundance that certain walkways have that horror movie feel to it - like someone might jump out from behind the trees! With that said, deer, squirrels and raccoons are a common sight. The first time I saw a deer eating grass randomly on campus, it was a STOP-WHIP-OUT-PHONES-TO-TAKE-PHOTOS moment.

Deer family

I cannot rave enough about the facilities there, it's almost like I never have to leave the campus! That's a slight exaggeration, but you'll get the idea. At Western, there's a very well-maintained recreation center with a Jacuzzi by the pool, a newly renovated gym, the Outback Farm for organic plantation, Starbucks, Subway, Panda Express, Underground Coffeehouse (with stand-up comedy nights and performance), three dining halls, a library of two wings, post office, and snack shops (P.O.D.)! They even own a boathouse at Lake Whatcom!

Recreational Center

Snowball fun on Harrington Field in winter.

Football and Frisbee on Harrington Field in spring.


A rather creepy stage in the middle of the Outback Farm.


Western's Lakewood Boathouse off-campus.


Swedish opera & orchestra at the Performing Arts Center (PAC)

African Balani drums class
(Photo credits: Vicky Gonzalez)

West African dance

- Classes -
Much intimidation.

Activity in my Women's Studies class.

The classroom culture in the U.S. is very different from Malaysia's - conducted as an active discussion rather than a passive one-way lecture...and there are no tutorial classes!!

It was quite intimidating at the beginning as I wasn't used to the expectation of active participation in classes. In order to do so, I had to do the readings and let me tell you - there are A LOT of readings to do prior to the classes.

To make matters worse, my textbook rentals arrived two weeks late and I was left to play the "International Student Card" (you know, the whole I-am-an-international-student-I-am-lost together with the blur facial expression). I did, however made up for it by volunteering to share what my group discussed! A funny experience with book rental was when I received a Judaism book twice when I ordered for Islamic studies...I gave up and borrowed Airat's book instead #lifesaver.

With this style of conducting classes, I could see that students in the U.S. are relatively more opinionated and active in asking questions. It encourages critical thinking among the students, which is a really important ability to have (and it's one of the problems Malaysian fresh graduates are facing when job hunting these days).

Due to the fact that the education system there was much more flexible, I felt like the students are being pampered somewhat (in the sense that they get more help). The continuous assessment helps spread out the weightage of the overall percentage, you can get extra credits assignments to help your grades, professors are very helpful and accommodating. For us here in Malaysia, it's either you study really hard and help yourself or you die. Period.

American Indian class, during finals.

Yes, my lecturer and his fiancé (TA) brought King Salmon sandwiches for us to eat during finals.

As I'm not transferring any credits back to my home university, it was my opportunity to take any classes I wanted! World Learning had a requirement for me to take one U.S. Studies, two random electives, and three from my major.

Winter:
ECON 101 Markets & Society - introduction class, so it was easy peasy.
WGSS 211 Introduction to Women's Studies - history of feminism and disability awareness.
AMST 202 American Indian Experience - new information overload made it challenging, but it's one of my favourite classes (despite the dreadful four-hour evening class on Wednesday, 6-10pm).

Spring:
ECON 206 Introduction to Microeconomics - class was conducted in a fun manner, with market-like activities.
ECON 361 International Economics and Business - one heavy-ass subject, focusing mainly on American, Canadian, Mexican and European markets.
LBRL 278 Islamic Civilizations - easy first half, lost interest in the second half.

I did really well in my first quarter, being motivated and amped up for classes. Unfortunately, the motivation slumped over time in the second quarter. I mean, at the back of my mind, I wanted to spend more time gaining experiences and making memories since I wasn't going to transfer my credits after all. So as long as I pass my classes and stay within the required GPA, I'm good.

Such a disgrace to my race, I know. Don't judge.

- Gym -
Developed a routine.


I. LOVE. THE. GYM.

The WWU Recreation Center popped my gym-virgin cherry and I loved it! Everything is so well-maintained and it seemed so clean even though all the equipment are heavily used.

I developed a routine of spinning (stationary cycling) and good ol' pilates on days I don't have classes. Man, do I miss the days walking to the gym and doing my workout routine in one of the empty classes. Besides feeling healthy, I successfully achieved my target of not putting on weight (in face, I lost some!) in the U.S.! My family was making fun of me saying I'd return to Malaysia twice my weight - I proved them wrong.

From time to time, free classes were offered for trial or just for fun. For someone who doesn't dance, agreeing to try out Zumba (mostly twerking, in that particular class) was pretty nerve-wrecking, but it was so much fun as I went with Jenny, Vara, Vicky and Song. Also, being at the back-most row and not seeing myself in the mirror helped a lot with not being conscious of my uncoordinated limbs. We also tried Tai Chi one stressful week, I can't believe Hampus and Austin actually went with us!

Post-Zumba

- Dining -
Feed me.


Thanks to World Learning, I have the Unlimited Meal Plan! What that means is that I was able to eat as many times a day as I wanted...for the entire quarter, and I have 10 guest passes (I can guest people in for free!). Naturally, a majority of my meals were taken at the dining halls - Fairhaven Commons, Ridgeway Commons, or Viking Commons. Sometimes I make my own breakfast, usually because I feel like eating my own cooking.

The convenience and free-ness of the meal plan definitely helped during occasions when I have a mental debate on whether I should eat free food and save money, or venture out and spend money. Free food wins most of the time, unless I feel like I've been good and I deserved a non-dining hall food that one meal.

Viking Commons


View from Viking Commons



Fairhaven Commons, located closest to BT was the dining hall my friends and I frequent the most. Dining hall food wasn't the best, but it could certainly be worse (and because it's free, I can't complain). I mean, the food was pretty decent with some better menu days like (in my opinion) the meat loaf, Pollock with herbs, fried fish, and the rare farm-to-plate dishes...and fries, always fries with that Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce...mm mm mmmmm...

I definitely missed my Asian spices, but the food that I got tired of as early as the end of the second week being there - salad for veggies. No kangkung belacan, no stir-fried baby kailan or spinach. At times they'd have broccoli and carrots (and brussels sprout which I dislike) which I was thankful for. During my first month, I got super excited whenever they had rice on the menu which was funny because I don't even eat much rice back in Malaysia, but there I was like "WHERE'S RICE? GIVE ME RICE!".

En route to Fairhaven Commons


Rice with mixed veggies, roasted potatoes and Pollock fish.

Those who are health-conscious would find it really convenient as the nutritional values are printed on every single food item, and Vegan options are available which I feel is very inclusive. OMG, I don't have any food restrictions but gluten-free cookies were the bombdotcom! It's made-to-order and supposed to be a secret (shhh....).

Along with the meal plan was a lot of Dining Dollars that was credited into the Student ID (super convenient!), which enabled me to drink Starbucks coffee (or buy from Subway, snacks from the P.O.D, or tea from the Underground Coffeehouse) on a regular basis. I felt like a rich bitch for once! Spend all the moneys!


Toffee Nut Latte

Fulfilling our every-Tuesday-and-Thursday Starbucks routine

- Commute -
To bus or to walk?

Walking back to BT.
(Photo credits: Vara)

The Whatcom County public buses go through the campus, which makes commuting very convenient. What's even better was that we get to ride the bus for free with our Student ID! This free-fare benefit definitely saved us a lot of money (and energy) from venturing out of campus.

Going home from ice skating, poking fun at the Russian.

At Western, I walk more than I ever did as the temperature was low and it's not a pain to walk from a point to another. I don't sweat...at all. I'd say the walking that I got used to is one of my saddest routine left behind as the walks were relatively longer, but I don't even realize it - music through my earphones, destination in mind, not sweating.

A walk to class (around Red Square, the mid point of the campus) would take me about 10 to 15 minutes, and I'd walk to the dining hall at least three times a day. I never felt healthier!


One of my routes heading back to BT.

Earphones were my walking companion

***

Now that I'm back in Malaysia, I definitely miss Western and I've never felt such an attachment to an institution before. You know the pictures you see of people overseas sitting on wide spaces of grass, reading a book or picnicking? I got to do that and it felt so surreal! It's not that we don't have grass in Malaysia, but unless you want to be burnt within five minutes of placing your butt down, you don't want to sit on the dirty soil-ish grass. My brain might be playing tricks on me, but other than the not-too-hot-not-too-cold weather, the grass felt clean!


Force-feeding our brains the Tariq Ramadan's What I Believe book.

Chilling by myself after a full day of back-to-back classes.

Enjoying some strawberry shortcake on the Old Main lawn.

I'm ever so grateful to be placed in WWU. It may not be the perfect university in its entirety, but I wouldn't mind going back there if time was turned back.


I'll never forget you and your trees, Western!

4 comments

Instagram

Theme by BD