Social Media

Looking back at 2016

We're well into the first month of 2017 and I admit I'm a little late in penning down the summary of how last 2016 went for me.

In my defence, my December was insane: ending my internship, submitting internship report to university, and preparing to say goodbye to Malaysia. Then when I came to the US, had to settle in, attend classes, explore new places. So much to do, yet so little time.

Let's not procrastinate any further, here's a little recap for memories sake.

1. Traveled to Bangkok THREE times!
My first time in Bangkok was a spontaneous one in January. Mich and I had a lot of fun scouting the area (read: shopping and exploring) prior to our planned family trip with mom and Rebecca in July. The third trip happened just recently in December, and it was one hell of a trip! A big number of 15 heads made the trip together - quite exhausting in coordinating, but we survived!

Shopping in Bangkok was very productive heheh; I finally met Major Tony after three years post-LIMA '13; I busted my left knee from excessive walking; Bangkok holds many first trips for me and my family.

Dad and mom coincidentally colour-coordinated with us | Thai seafood at Lek & Rut

2. Saw Little Mix & Simple Plan LIVE
Little Mix was my new favourite band in 2016, mostly because their songs are empowering and so girl power *insert muscle arm emoji* I wasn't too keen on spending money for the concert, but I lucked out on a pair of free tickets - thanks, Blu Inc!

Simple Plan was my jam back in 2012, you know the whole angsty stage of a teenager. Imagine my excitement when they announced their Asia tour which included Malaysia. It was so much fun, so much nostalgia, so much jumping and singing...NO RAGRETS lunching on bread for a whole month hahaha

Little Mix "Get Weird Tour" Kuala Lumpur 2016 | Simple Plan "Taking One For The Team Tour" Kuala Lumpur 2016

3. Expanded my love for events
I love attending and organizing events. Back in 2016, I sure got a fair share of both! Cassey Ho aka Blogilates (Youtuber/pilates instructor) came to town for a Zespri event. What an experience it was to do pilates outdoors in an open-air venue with Blogilates instructing in real life! Only downside was no hitting the pause button to take a breather haha

Got the chance to attend the Urban Decay Vice Lipstick Launch at APW Bangsar (loved the concept of the venue). Being recognized when I started my internship led me to more Urban Decay events. Scoreee! I also got to attend Sephora's 5th Birthday Bash at KL LIVE, which had freakin' Karmin to perform that night! Form6 memories, come back to mama.

Confession note @ UD Vice Lipstick Launch | Blogilates @ Zespri event

4. Scored the Fulbright Global UGRAD scholarship
I'm here in the US because of this! I wasn't planning to try out again, but submitted the application anyway within a short time frame. Boy, am I glad I did it! The whole process took a year - personal statements & essays, interview, TOEFL test, medical checkup, US visa application...but it was definitely worth it. Very thankful to MACEE and World Learning for running and managing this program.

TheStar newspaper article, Mich represented my receive of certificate

5. Interned at L'Oréal Malaysia
Within the short duration of 4.5 months, I've gotten countless opportunities thrown my way. Given the luxury of awesome bosses, fun friends, and being placed in a corner with my CEO view - it was an experience that couldn't get any better! Throughout my internship, I've learned so much and pushed my own limits..and received free goodies...and helped with events and all that cool jazz muahahaha

I will be writing a post on my internship experience, so look out for that!

Corporate Communications team @ For Women in Science 2016 Award Ceremony | Urban Decay Vice Lipstick Launch @ Sephora Starhill

6. Friends came and gone
Back in May, I organized a weekend staycation at Sekeping Terasek to spend quality time with my close LIMA friends, and it was the definition of FUN! Definitely looking forward to plan another one when I'm back in Malaysia. I'm glad I managed to attend Taha's convocation too, as he left shortly after that (I miss you, bugger!). The highlight was Tim stopping by Malaysia to pay Char and I a visit! So very appreciative of his kind gesture cz I sure miss that blondie haha I also made new friends at work that were so helpful and fun that as a bid-goodbye gift, I gave them bubbles to add more fun into their work life in 2017 :P

Taha's convocation @ MMU Cyberjaya | Pakistani Briyani for dinner with Tim

7. Discovered more of myself
I've always been okay being by myself, although I definitely still need people surrounding me. After all, we humans are social beings, no? At 23, I really began to appreciate my time alone and doing what I felt like doing even when others didn't want to. My thoughts and opinions became clearer to myself, which translated to knowing what I want (or don't want) and making my own decisions. "Follow your heart", they say. Although I may not know what I want exactly in life as a whole, I think I can handle life decisions in smaller pieces.

Cycling time alone on my birthday | Winging it, being a hair model for Matrix


2016, thanks for being good! In reference to my 2015 summary post, no Tom in 2016 but there was three weeks of Tim! 2017 has a lot to offer, especially what with spending almost half of the year in the States. I will be embarking on journeys, having new adventures under my belt to add to my life experiences and memories which I will hold on to dearly.

To a great year ahead!

Post a Comment

Instagram

Theme by BD