Social Media

LIMA '15: Post-show

The end of LIMA '15 also means it's time for goodbye- the inevitable. That doesn't mean we can't have some fun before that parting, no!

For chronological purposes, read LIMA '15: Pre-show | LIMA '15: LIMA LIMA ;)

The final morning in Langkawi for the volunteers marked my first time having breakfast among them. I usually wake up late enough to miss the bus by a couple minutes by the time I'm done getting ready for work, so rushing my breakfast in the office is what I do O.o I really wanted to join them for breakfast and bus, but I'm mostly way too tired to wake up at 5am to start getting ready (Yes, my optimum get-ready time is slightly over an hour without rushing). But this LIMA, I had to force myself up at 7.10am and then rush to get ready :(

I made a point to not sleep in(since there's no more work) in order to join the peeps for breakfast, which reminded me of how awful Sandy Beach's breakfast is hahahaha

Unlike previous years where we'd pack up after breakfast and leave, we actually got to stroll on the beach, play around in the water and go on the banana boat! Some space for free & easy activities before leaving Langkawi was very much appreciated :)

walk to digest


Prior to Langkawi, I made a mental goal to go parasailing as a birthday treat for myself. For starters, that didn't happen as predicted, due to time constrain hahaha ...but that's okay! Because I got to go on my first ever banana boat ride with my favourite people!

The Banana Boat gang
[Faris, Char, Gup, Dora, Muiz]

Being in an unsurprising good mood, I decided to give everyone a treat- RM90 for 6 people hahaha I should really slow down on the generosity or I would never get to travel anymore :/

Before getting on board, the guy asked if we wanted to capsize. Like hell yeah, we do! The deal was for one time capsize per ride, but Faris managed to convince him to capsize it twice. Woohoo!


In case you were wondering how we got pretty good shots while at sea, it was thanks to Andrew for volunteering to be our photographer heh The boat guy allowed him to get on board the motorboat! Perfect!

and the fun begins!

The ride was so very breezy! He took us quite far out, which was really nice cz we got to see the Langkawi mountains and the day wasn't hot yet. I was less nervous than I should be, more excited really. Maybe cz I had the life jacket on and I knew I had friends I could count on. Although, I couldn't help but to wonder if there's sharks around :/

result of a sharp turn

Climbing back up was a challenge. Didn't help that I couldn't stop laughing from being unable to pull myself up (...and maybe I was just really happy). Gup and Faris was just pushing my butt up from behind, hoping I can pull myself up... but nope, I didn't have the strength and I was laughing too much that I just couldn't LOL Sorry, guys hahaha Faris gave up and just got on board himself and helped all of us up. Wooh! His strength has been in disguise all these while!

drumstick O.o



The second capsize was an uncertain one. We weren't sure if he was bringing us back to shore or if the second capsize was gonna happen...and it did, very subtly that it didn't feel like one.

As soon as I thought it was just a regular turn, Dora and Muiz fell off, and Faris purposely "fell off", leaving the Three Black Widows on board wondering what the hell just happened?! Did we miss our second capsize?? hahaha Darn it!



unexpectedly strong Faris! :P (I was so fair back then *sigh*)

the last handful on the beach

A quick shower and some final pack up later, we checked out of the hotel. The volunteers were going back to KL, while a few of us were moving to One Helang cz our flight back was on Monday. Char, Gup and I got Monday noon flight since the tickets for Sunday were expensive.

We managed to bunk at Suren's room thanks to the extra day bed and Arif's kindness for letting us have his bed while he went to another room. Money saved on accommodation! :D

Gup, Char, Faris, Moose and I were supposed to meet up with the volunteers to shop for chocolates and follow their tour, but Suren wanted to tag along. Pfft...No idea why we waited for him to settle some stuff with Miss Azlin when we could've just gone first cz we ended up going by 2 cars anyway. Boooo! A little bit regretful from not getting to hangout with the rest, but hey, we all got like an hour of nap in! hahaha Literally all of us just fell asleep within a couple minutes of waiting lolol


Suren, the mama duck leading the way

We were running late, so we quickly got lunch before heading to the jetty to send the volunteers off.

There were lots of hugs, thanks and apologies...the whole farewell shizzle lah basically. Quite sad also, but I didn't cry...I'm strong like that *hair flips* :P hahaha Gup & her gang were bawling like babies, man! hahahaha

Form 6 gang!

Fellow VMDs; Char, Umul, Syaim, A'an

Being at the jetty to send our fellow volunteers off reminded me of Mr. Haswan sending us off in LIMA '13. We're him now!! As in...we're filling his shoes now heheh

back then; 2013


Once the ferry sailed off...it was our turn to shop for chocolates, alcohol and kitchen utensils!!!! Woot! I love that we had the Serena, so convenient to move around and just chuck in all our loots!

No idea how we spent so many hours at Haji Ismail and a departmental store opposite it that we were almost late for dinner with the Ministry of Defense people in Kuah Town lolol

Although we were already in Kuah Town, we had to go back to freshen up and go with Suren (who didn't join us for shopping). The organisers invited Gup, Char and I to dinner, knowing we stayed back a day extra hehe Who can say no to free food?!! FREE SEAFOOD!!

steamed fish, fried fish, fu yong tan (egg omelet), kangkung belacan, butter prawns

fried squid

That same night, Miss Azlin invited us to go on a yacht with the rest of the organisers! We were on the fence to join, mostly cz we've bought our flight tickets and....classes....

The morning of the yacht trip was when we indecisively head over to the airport to buy new tickets. Spent a good RM200 on it *sigh* But I mean, okaylah...yacht and two seafood dinners. More than what I've paid for, so still gained some.

Good thing I decided to chuck my bikini into my luggage!! I wasn't sure if it'd be used, but just in case hehe That'd have been a deal breaker for me to go back to KL.

why so grumps, Suren? not a morning person? hahaha

Upon arrival, we hopped onto a boat which will bring us to the yacht in the middle of the sea.

the fun team

enjoying the breeze

And soon, we're on the yacht! Without tagging along with big shots like the organisers, I wouldn't have got to experience being on a yacht, so it's quite cool lah and I'm grateful :)

The yacht had a net thingy where you can jump into the sea and roll yourself onto the net to just chill, and also breakfast refreshments and a proper yummy lunch! More on the net activity below.

us on Stardust Yacht

Hizri, the curry puff eater

out in the Andaman Sea



Mike and Miss Azlin on a magic carpet ride

Once the yacht sailed quite far off from the starting point, they let down the nets! No, not to fish but for us to be fished hahahaha get it? get it?

So the "activity" was very simple. Jump off the boat, grab the net, roll yourself in. Since the yacht would still be moving (slowly), no need to swim towards the net, it'll come to you.

of muscles and butts

jumping Gup

It didn't cross my mind to participate, initially. I enjoyed watching them jump off the boat one by one, then they started persuading me to do it too. I thought maybe I should give it a shot, but I swear I chickened out so many times before finally deciding to do it.

I wanted to do it, but the insecurity of not being able to swim made me scared. Like I literally feared for my life! lolol And if I were to do it, I wanted to make sure I don't panic in the water, know what to do and jump off at my own timing. I warned Suren not to push me lol

After telling myself to remain calm in the water and to raise my hand...and after chanting my prayers, I made my jump. Yay me! I managed to keep calm in the water and float! I feel proud of myself cz when my head got caught in net, I could still remain clam and know what to do. Took a deep breath, dipped my head in then out of the water. I'm freeee! Wooh! hahaha Clever me! hehe

My pants threatened to fall off though cz it was a bit loose hahahaha That will probably be my first and last time jumping off boat without life vest, without knowing how to swim. Will learn to swim. By the end of this year. Period.


Lunch on board was really good, quite a wide spread actually. Just realized I don't have any photos of lunch cz I was probably too hungry and excited when I saw the food that I forgot to grab my phone lol The food was surprisingly good, a bit unexpected. There were eggs & mayo, chicken curry, potatoes, mutton, salad just to name a few I can remember.

After lunch, a small motorboat brought us off the yacht to a tiny island to just chill around. Chit chatted a little and we all used the sand as scrub hahaha MD said the Langkawi sand was known to have some "magical" properties that makes for a good scrub. Some took the kayak around and saw dolphins!!! I didn't see any :( :(

End of the yacht trip, we went to Cenang cz Suren wanted to get his supply of booze from Coco Valley (Miss Azlin!!! Read this!!! Suren said don't tell you he bought A LOT of booze lolol).

On the way back, we tapau-ed shawarma!!!!!!!!!!!! Because it was soo good, I didn't wanna leave Langkawi without having it for one last time haha It was just too good. Gup didn't want any, but ended up stealing a few bites from Char's and mine. Booooo! Of course we shared with her cz we love her la...if not, dream on, mannnn hahaha


That night we had free dinner again! This time was with JIM contractors, a company that works with HW LIMA. It was moreeeeeee seafood at The Cliff Restaurant & Bar.

We were given the freedom to order anything from menu...and it felt awesome! Our gang was late, but some LIMA staffs and JIM people came even later, so I quickly signaled Amir to take the seat next to me in case a random stranger came to sit hahaha Can't help it, I'm just socially awkward with people I don't know :X


Suren wanted to be part of the Three Black Widows, so okaylah, we allowed him temporarily hahaha Ordered different food and share share!!! Sharing food is awesome cz you get to taste different dishes hehe

Butter prawns, mixed veggies, fish, black pepper crab...with rice (not in picture)

crabby!

veggies!

fishy!

Prawny!... only four pieces :'(

One of the reasons why I don't pay to eat at fancy restaurants like these, is cz you get a smaller portion for the same price as regular seafood restaurant. Didn't whine about it cz I didn't have to pay :P :P

After our main course, we got some desserts! So nice to be able to order anything from the menu and not worrying about the bill hehe

chocolate brownie with strawberry ice cream

something Mahsuri. Not good.

Though the food at dinner wasn't superb, it was seafood nevertheless. Plus, I wanted to pay The Cliff a visit before going to Langkawi for like afternoon tea cz they have a nice bar with sea view, but that never happened (just like parasailing) hahaha

I really thank God for LIMA this time round. Tried new things and had new opportunities work-related and non-work-related hehe I wanted to splurge on a seafood dinner on one of the nights, but was too busy with appointments(we're popular with the volunteers, you see hahahaha so tak malu). And thanks to the organisers, I got TWO seafood dinners which I didn't have to pay for :D

And like I said earlier, my goal this trip was to go parasailing or just any water sports. Although I didn't get to, at least I managed to go on my first ever banana boat ride with my friends! I was very much overjoyed haha

Jumping off the yacht into the sea without the ability to swim was a scary, but good experience. I wouldn't do it again before I learn to swim, but the yacht trip wouldn't have happened for me if it weren't for Him.

Also, I thank God for surrounding me with responsible and good people. Thank you, Suren and Gup for taking care of me when I was woozy that one night hahaha And Char for subconsciously having my back whenever I'm in the water :* :* :* I really appreciate it all!

Okay, before I tear up from gratitude, I'd better finish up this post.

Next morning, we drove the Serena to the airport to check in our luggage and have breakfast. Our choice was Starbucks cz the Langkawi airport seriously have a lack of restaurants. Business idea, someone?


Char stayed at Starbucks to watch over our carry-on bags, while I drove the Serena back to One Helang with Gup to drop off the keys. We were quite sad to let the Serena go as we've developed an attachment to it. It's the first big ass vehicle I've ever driven and it made me feel like if I can drive a minivan, I can do anything! *insert muscle arm emoticon* 

I was nervous about driving it before I tried, not gonna lie. But it was simpler than I thought! Since I drove it for the first time, I never looked back hahahaha

My apologies to whoever that was ever my passenger. Rumour has it that I drive crazy, but I wasn't even speeding or reckless! Except maybe that night when I had to do 3 rounds of chauffeuring when I was practically dozing off O.o But I knew I was sleepy, so I drove slower, okaaaay? Thanks to Faris for taking over on the last round after I told him I was seeing double when I was on the way back from my second round. (Tim said some volunteers that I sent back were gossiping about my driving. So much for sending you guys back. Boooooo! hahahaha Kidding. Not.)

bye bye, Serena

bumped into Miss Ayu! ♥♥♥

We wanted to bid goodbye to Suren (our temporary new gang member) since when we left, he just waved us off and went into the bathroom. No hugs, no proper goodbye hahaha Presumably, he went into the bathroom and wailed cz he'll miss us hahahahahaha But yeah, went to his room, but he had already gone out to make last minute liquor shopping (cc: Miss Azlin)

Good thing Mike was in the opposite room cz I was in need to use the toilet hahahaha He's probably one of the tidiest man I've seen. As in, he freaking brought a shower basket to organize his toiletries! *applause* Got him to send us to the airport instead of walking over hehe

Thanks, Mike!

Coincidentally, we bumped into BK (one of the IT guys) at the departure hall as he waited for the same plane we were gonna be on! Our network just keeps growing, huh?

#nothighjustexhausted

chatting with BK

Soon, it was time for our flight...time to say goodbye to Langkawi- our temporary home every two years. Quite reluctant to leave the Langkawi-LIMA atmosphere, but reality was waiting for us. The nightmare of catching up with university work lolol

Bye, Langkawi. Till we meet again.

Thank you to HW LIMA for bringing us back for LIMA '15 and giving us the opportunity to experience all kinds of crap hahaha Good crap for the most part.

Thank you, Miss Ayu for picking us as Volunteer Leaders, although we're all over the place and caused some headache lol

Thank you, Miss Azlin for the guidance and not screaming your head off at us.

Thank you, MD for believing in us, the younger generation.

No thank you, Haniff for having my phone when I was searching high and low for it hahahaha

Thank you, Mike for the powerbank and stealing my walkie talkie.

Thank you, Dini for helping me print documents hahaha

Thank you, Aizad for dealing with last minute volunteer replacements and always having suggestions to any issues.

Thank you, every other colleague for making LIMA '15 an enjoyable one.

Thank you, fellow VMDs for making it a great experience working with you guys, Miscommunication, yes. Problems, yes. But we worked well together. Glad to have worked with you people :) I love you guys!!

And lastly, thank you, volunteers for without you, we won't be able to successfully execute our plans. Plus points for being really friendly, approachable, smiley, responsible and proactive. I miss you guys!

LIMA '17, anyone?

Post a Comment

Instagram

Theme by BD