Social Media

Penang Food Hunt: Mugshot's Yogurt is THE BOMB

Hellooooo! I'm back after a rather long no-update period! Had finals then continued by some LIMA work. Busy busy busy, but I'm back!!!

Blogging from home right now hehe This is the last of Penang Food Hunt, so let's doooo this!


Woke up to day 3 with chee cheong fun (rice noodle roll) in mind! Personally, I'm not a fan of flour-ish food like noodles, spaghetti and such..oh, I do love lasagna though! I wasn't all that excited about chee cheong fun, but Michelle wanted to try it so bad so okaylah!



The famous chee cheong fun stall is part of Seow Fong Lye coffee shop. Coincidentally, it's right next to Restoran KSB Cahaya or Abu Mamak, which we paid a visit the night before for supper.


The nice and friendly auntie aka lady boss at the stall speaks fluent English, so don't worry if you can't speak Mandarin lol The chee cheong fun that comes with sweet sauce is available in 2 plate sizes- RM2 and EM3.

The portion of RM2 is not a lot, so you might wanna get the bigger one. However, since flour based food fills me up fast, RM2 was just right for me. Their sweet sauce was very yummz! And if I remember correctly, it tasted a bit shrimpy.

RM2 portion


Michelle loved it so much, she decided to tapau it back home! The auntie's smart cz she knows that we're gonna bus back to KL, so she separated the sauce and chee cheong fun lol


Good thing Mic bought her chee cheong fun for eating when back in KL cz she thought of just buying back some nasi kandar, which wasn't open when we arrived at the shop. Booooo!

Chee Cheong Fun at Seow Fong Lye Coffee Shop
Macalister Lane
7.30am-12.30pm


On the way back to Chulia Street, we dropped by the Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendul stall! It's the same Teochew cendol shop in malls like Sunway Pyramid and Paradigm Mall. I've never tried those, but according to Mic, it sucks.

The original one, which is this stall, is the reason it got famous. The uncle was very friendly too(not sure if this is a Penang thing heh) and told every single customer that if we wanted a place to sit while enjoying our cendol, just walk over to a shop lot with a green roof.


the green roof

Quite smart of the uncle to open up a stall instead of just staying in his shop cz it's quite hard to find. Plus, the stall has probably been there since the beginning of the business...which makes it easier for returning and new customers to find.

I decided to just eat while standing



Icey goodness of generous amount of gula melaka(palm sugar) mixed with santan(coconut milk)...great for a hot day like...every day in Malaysia :P

Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendul
Keng Kwee Street
10am-7.30pm


For a few days we've been walking pass this shop that sells packed local products, especially tau sar piah and I saw them selling siew pau. For the last time walking pass it, I wanted to get some...but they weren't ready! :'(


face of speechlessness

face of grrr-ing..which turned out like I'm smiling lmao


Our bus ride back to KL was at 12.30pm, so we went back to our room to pack up! Didn't take long before we made one last food stop hehe We planned for The Mugshot Cafe to be the last since it's only like three doors away from our hotel!



The Mugshot Cafe is quite well-known and through cafe researching done, it's one of the must-go cafes in Penang! And it surely is.

Quite a small menu they have of homemade yogurt with different mixtures of toppings, coffee, hot chocolate, tea and bagels. Not a lot of variety, but they do it well.


Seating is limited, goes from the front of the shop to the back. Finding a seat may be challenging during weekends cz everyone goes there. The back part of the shop has bigger tables for larger group of customers.


perfect seating spot- in front of big mirror and next to the bagel-making station


Look! A pterodactyl!

It's half self-service. So you place your order at the counter, pay and they'll have your orders delivered to you. Service is fast though there's many customers and mind you, the staffs are friendly and polite. Not rude, not arrogant, doesn't make you pissed the first 5 seconds you're in the shop *cough* ChinaHouse *cough* lol

old school oven in use

cream cheese & smoked salmon bagels

We got ourselves a cream cheese bagel, jackfruit & gula melaka (palm sugar) yogurt and iced cappuccino to share.

Iced cappuccino, RM10

I'm more of a sweet coffee kinda person, so blergh, the bitterness of the cappuccino was not welcomed by my tongue haha Not that it's bad, just not my preference..but we didn't know what else to get lol 

Cream cheese bagel, RM5



The bagel was big and kinda hard (don't think dirty lol). It's actually my first time having bagel :X The cream cheese was generously spread and tastes so rich. Good thing we shared cz I'd never be able to finish it. I wanna try the turkey ham & cranberry sauce bagel next.

Jackfruit & gula melaka yogurt, RM10

This is the winning buy from that day...and I'd say the entire trip too. I wish we discovered this on the first day itself cz it was sooooo good for the bowels!

(Skip this part if you can't stand bowel-talk)
Usually when traveling, I don't really poop. Not that I can't, I just don't have the urge to cz it's like my intestines know it's not home hahaha Same goes for this trip, we ate soooo much, but barely let out anything. We shared a serving of this yogurt and it took like an hour to take effect. I usually never poop at R&R stops, but when the bus stopped for toilet break, holy moly! THREE DAYS worth of food...all came out smoooothly, if you know what I mean hahaha It felt so good.

Hence, when I'm back in Penang for more food, I'm having The Mugshot Cafe's yogurt every evening.


small serving of magic

back part of the cafe, where the magic yogurt is made

The middle portion of the shop where the 2 larger tables are at is where they have a coin-making machine(Penang collectible) and its namesake- Mugshot photo area.

No idea why, but I decided to spend RM2 on a coin hahaha Probably too into the moment since we were going back to KL and I wanted a souvenir from Penang. But it does nothing! Grrr...

choosing the design I want

gotta keep turning to imprint the design on the coin, which made the wheel heavy

tadahhh!

chalks to write on mugshot chalkboard

yeaaaah...I don't know why Mich decided I'm 5'3" lolol


Great place to chill and chit chat with friends, drink some coffee, eat some yogurt.. great service and reasonable price. I'd definitely come back again the next time I'm back in Penang!

The Mugshot Cafe
Chulia Street
8am-12am, daily


The last thing to do before checking out was to remove all our makeup, wash up and slab on skin care products for a comfortable 4-hour bus ride back to KL.


And that marks the end of our Penang Food Hunt! Can't wait to be back for more fooooood!

Where shall I go next? hehe

Post a Comment

Instagram

Theme by BD