Social Media

Malacca For Shawarma

Taking a short break from huge load of assignments, I decided to blog about my Malacca trips. Yes, plural.

It was a hell of a weekend! Made a trip to Malacca, rushed back to KL for a briefing and played tour guide for the whole of Sunday. So very exhausted that I was on the verge of falling sick, but I'm not complaining!

This post comes in two parts because both trips were for the same purpose- to get my hands on some shawarma from Dima Restaurant (which Anis and Taha claimed to be the best one in town).

The hunt for shawarma came about since leaving Langkawi. No thanks to Anis and Taha, they got us (Char, Gup and I) hooked on shawarma since trying the one on Cenang Beach. It was so good that it set the bar for every other shawarmas from then onwards.

Part I

Last month, Gup and I made a two-day trip to Malacca after much pestering from Anis haha No regrets cz we got to meet some LIMA friends and fooooooooood!

Thank you, Dhanesh and Elyn for picking us up from Melaka Sentral! :) First official food stop was chicken rice ball which I didn't have, cz I had my unofficial lunch of McDonald's while waiting for them :X

All is well cz we then had cendol for dessert!! We went to the stall opposite the Christ Church, which I've never been. Apparently it's one of the famous cendols.

durian cendol on a hot hot day

Elyn, Gup, Dhanesh...and the cendols

Taha and Abu Bakar came to join us

We made a new friend then- Abu Bakar, a friend of Taha's. He somehow looked familiar, but I can't seem to recall where I've seen him. Weirdly enough, he told Taha I looked familiar too! O.o

Anyway, when in Melaka, it's just like when in Penang- EAT. But Melaka eating is tamer lah, since Penang has awesome food in every nook and cranny lolol

Next stop was Nadeje for mille crepe cakes! There's many mille crepe cake shops around these days, but my favourite are still the ones from Nadeje in Melaka. Even the one in the PJ branch tastes a tiny bit different.



Anis being the busy-with-classes guy was stuck in MMU, while we were having all the fun eating. And I only feel a little bit bad for spamming him with our photos :P

To be fair, we headed over to MMU to meet him right after that. And all the trouble I had to endure just to meet him there- bumped my head on the car boot and having to change into long pants to be in MMU. Ugh.

Going to MMU wasn't in the itinerary, and being a local private university, I didn't think they'd have a dress code of no shorts, sleeveless and slippers. I was wearing a sleeveless romper. *Applause*

Met some SRC people

Angry Anis :P

Dinner time was at....Dima!!!!! All the excitement was dashed when we were told they weren't serving shawarma that day. I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!", but I didn't wanna be a kid throwing tantrum so I went ahead with other yummy suggestions. Such major fail though :(

Arabic foooooood

more Arabic foooood

Since it was a shawarma cum meet LIMA friends trip, we notified the Malacca people to join us for dinner. What's funny though, was that a whole bus of Malacca people was reduced to just five people who turned up. Booooo! Well, we're glad we got to meet the few awesome people anyway :P

Thanks Schanni, Taha, Anis, Andrew and Nana for coming out to meet us though it was inconvenient for some of you :)



Anis was under the weather, so we made him go home. Others needed to go for their night activities too. And by night activities, I mean group discussions and some training happening in MMU. MMU is so alive at night, it's surprising!

Gup and I went on a ride with Taha and Abu Bakar around town and ended up in Old Town, where the entire journey just filled with laughter thanks to their pronunciation of certain words. Probably formed some abs from laughing too much. So much so that Abu Bakar had to use his asthma inhaler hahahaha At some point, Taha told us to stop laughing cz it was going out of control and he was driving, but that made us laugh even harder lolol Sorry for the distraction, Taha! 

Went back to Elyn's place for the night and took a nice shower. Thank you, Elyn for accommodating us!!

Breakfast was dim sum nearby her place! She was so excited to let us try the Liu Sar Pau (custard bun) and I wondered why cz it's not my first time having it. But as I broke it in half, the filling just oozed out! And it was really good.


Jonker Street was my meeting point with Michelle before we headed back to JB together. So we walked around while waiting for Michelle, and they left soon after. 


Thank you, Elyn for making sure we felt at home, providing accommodation and sneaking me into MMU hahaha And everyone else for meeting up with us!

Part II

Having my plan to get some shawarma fail the last trip, I mentally planned a trip to Malacca in two weeks. The plan was brought forward when Jonas told me about his plan to head south. I was too busy for JB, but I could make some time for Malacca. And so I offered to bring him around Malacca for a day! Super last minute, but funnn!

Made a beeline for Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS) right after my Friday class and kept my half empty stomach for Malacca food heheheh

Our first destination was Jonker Street cz that's where I know where the good food are at. Jonas being vegetarian slipped my mind, but he managed to get some potato wedges and curry tempeh (fermented soya) for lunch from Geographer Cafe.

Initially, I wanted chicken rice ball, but then my appetite changed lolol So we crossed the street to Jonker88 for my Nyonya Asam Laksa and some cendol for us!!!!

cendol timeeee

With renewed energry (from lunch), it was walking timeeee! We walked past historical sites, took some pictures and made our way to Dataran Pahlawan cz the German was melting away and was in need of changing into short pants LOL

Just as we were waiting for Anis and Taha, I spotted my miracle elixir- Wong Lo Kat (bitter herbal tea) from The Dragon Pot. An evil masterplan emerged in my mind. I got Jonas to try it and guess what? Plan backfired cz he actually liked it though it was bitter! No fun!! hahaha


sluuuuuurp!

"it's good!" =.="

Being the terrorist wannabe, Anis hid behind Jonas and scared the crap out of me hahaha Ahh...I've missed these people. Accompanied Taha to Burger King for lunch and talked about....phones *crick crick*

using the beauty mode on Anis' phone

To be honest, I've never seen the A Famosa fort in person. I just couldn't find it previously! Being the proud and egoistic Malaysian I am (hahaha), I inwardly exclaimed "Ohhh! So it's hereee!" as we walked past it to get to St. Paul's Hill.

silly friends

Saint Francis Xavier

Diversity on St. Paul's Hill

The plan next was to have the famous Klebang coconut shake! Thank you, Anis and Taha for renting the car just to chauffeur us around! :* :*

But first, we had to walk through Dataran Pahlawan to get to the car. And of course I had to get them to try the herbal tea muahahahaha We asked the shop girls what does the herbal tea comprises of and none of them knew :/ 

Googled and found this. Not sure if it's accurate, but it's more or less correct. "Water, white sugar, mesona, dan hua, bu zha ye (Microcos paniculata Linn), Chrysanthemum flowers, jin yin hua (Lonicera japonica Thunb.), Prunella vulgaris and licorice."
Source: Ezine Articles (Sanami, 2010)

Taha's reaction: Sad puppy frown

Anis' reaction: As seen above hahaha

Sorry, guys! It's good for health though, especially on hot days like these in Malacca :P Soooo, you're welcome hahaha

chasing the sunset

Taha asked which coconut shake I preferred. Obviously Klebang's! He got excited and said "Yesss yess!" hahaha For once, someone other than my sisters agree with me that the KLEBANG COCONUT SHAKE IS BETTER THAN THE BATU BERENDAM COCONUT SHAKE!

I don't even know why the Batu Berendam one is compared to the Klebang one, really. The ice cream they use overpowers the taste of the coconut water and the drink basically just tastes of vanilla ice cream. The Klebang coconut shake, although similarly blended and topped with vanilla ice cream, the taste of the coconut water is still there and there's the obvious bits of blended coconut flesh. SO GOOD.

Arrived at the stall just in time! They were closing and have limited drinks left. Phew! *wipes sweat* Then we went to the Klebang beach to meet the guys' friends we bumped into at the mall. As pretty as the sunset is, bloody hell, the sand was the coarsest I've felt! So painful lolol


Chit chatted till like 9pm and I was starving by then. I seem to get hungry fast, especially when I know I'm in a city with good food :X

Then there's the dilemma between shawarma and Jonker Street. I wanted to go to Jonker Street cz it'd be nice for Jonas to experience it, plus I haven't been there in a while. But on the other hand, the shawarma would be sold out by the time we get back from Jonker. *cries*

Good thing Anis and Taha are friends with the Dima people that they called them up to save some shawarma for us hehehe And to Jonker Street we go!

high on potato chips hahaha

Just as we were walking back, I saw a familiar face, Jan Schmedding and then I saw Aizad! Jan Senior was there too, with another German guy. Haven't seen them since LIMA, so it was nice to catch up a little :)

After the short encounter, we drove to Dima to tapau our beloved shawarmas as they were closing soon. Went back to Anis' place to settle down and....eat shawarmaaaaa!!! I quickly took my shower and be in a very zen mood to enjoy the shawarma hahaha

LOOK AT THE SHAWARMASSSS

I didn't know real shawarma has fries in it! Omg the shawarma was so good, as highly praised by the two. I ended up eating one and a half shawarmas O.o Anis force fed me the half :'( But no regrets! It was yummmz!

(Ignore the strand of hair, it's mine. It wanted a share too lolol)

Thank you, Jalal (Anis' housemate) for your room. Sorry for inconveniencing you by taking the room and you had to take the couch :/ I really like your mirror! So good for makeup hahaha

Woke up early the next morning to get ready to leave. Anis made Jonas and I some sweeeet breakfast! Cheese omelet and tomatoes (I made the toasts :P), such healthy breakfast! :D Thank you, Anisssss!


sending me off at Melaka Sentral

It was a really nice trip, albeit a short one.

Thanks for the great hospitality, Anis and Taha! It was really nice hanging out with you guys hehe See you guys sooooooon!

And that concludes my shawarma trip.

Now, back to my crazy load of assignments..all due early next week. All the best to me.

Post a Comment

Instagram

Theme by BD